Simple Rearranging Formlua

nortski

I am struggling to understand why my answer is different from the actual answer to this simple formula rearrangement:

Make x the subject:

Q) v = (2/3)x - 2
Actual answer) x = (3v + 6) / 2
My answer) x = (3v + 2) / 2

My revision guide states to get rid of the fraction before anything else and then rearrange. So my working is:
step 1) 3v = 2x - 2
step 2) move the -2 to the other side = 3v + 2 = 2x
step 3) divide by 2 = (3v + 2) / 2 = x

To get the actual answer it's apparent that the 2 was moved to the opposite side first.
Can someone please clarify this for me. Thanks.

I am struggling to understand why my answer is different from the actual answer to this simple formula rearrangement:

Make x the subject:

Q) v = (2/3)x - 2
Actual answer) x = (3v + 6) / 2
My answer) x = (3v + 2) / 2

My revision guide states to get rid of the fraction before anything else and then rearrange. So my working is:
step 1) 3v = 2x - 2
step 2) move the -2 to the other side = 3v + 2 = 2x
step 3) divide by 2 = (3v + 2) / 2 = x

To get the actual answer it's apparent that the 2 was moved to the opposite side first.
Can someone please clarify this for me. Thanks.
Step 1 is Incorrect. Could you explain how you got your result?

Step 1 is Incorrect. Could you explain how you got your result?
Hi.
I thought you had to multiply all terms by the denominator: 3 . v = (3 . 2 / 3)x - 3 . 2
The 3's then cancel each other out leaving: 3v = 2x - 2

This is probably where I'm going wrong.

Hi.
I thought you had to multiply all terms by the denominator: 3 . v = (3 . 2 / 3)x - 3 . 2

What happened to the last term: 3*2?

Hi.

That should compute to 6 - giving you:

3v = 2x - 6

And ... finish it...

I will not push that you should move the -2 to the other side first, but will point out that if you had, then you would not have made your mistake.

What do you get if multiply 63/5 - 5 by 5?

63/5 - 25/5 = 38/5. Now when we multiply 63/5 - 5 by 5, ie multiply 38/5 by 5 we get 38.

Using your method you get 63-1 (1 because you divide the 5 by 5) = 62.

Which is correct?

Just quickly, so if the -2 was over the same denominator of the +2, then would both cancel?

Just quickly, so if the -2 was over the same denominator of the +2, then would both cancel?
Cancel to what?

1st of all the phrase cancels out is not clear. After all, 7-7 cancels out to 0, while 7/7 cancels out to 1. And 14/7 cancels out to 2.

Again, your question is not clear. +2/2 would cancel out to 1 while -2/2 would cancel out to -1.

It probably is best never to say cancels out, but if you do then you MUST say cancels out to some number.

Cancel to what?

1st of all the phrase cancels out is not clear. After all, 7-7 cancels out to 0, while 7/7 cancels out to 1. And 14/7 cancels out to 2.

Again, your question is not clear. +2/2 would cancel out to 1 while -2/2 would cancel out to -1.

It probably is best never to say cancels out, but if you do then you MUST say cancels out to some number.
What I should have said is what if two terms were over the same denominator:
(2-4) / 3
Then to get rid of that fraction: (3.2 - 3.4) / 3 is the same as 2 - 3 right?

What I should have said is what if two terms were over the same denominator:
(2-4) / 3
Then to get rid of that fraction: (3.2 - 3.4) / 3 is the same as 2 - 3 right?
If you had \(\displaystyle \dfrac{2-4}{3}\) and wanted to multiply by 3.

You can say \(\displaystyle 3(\dfrac{2-4}{3})=2-4\), NOT 2-3 because the 3 cancel out to 1