Simplest form for 2(2/3) + 3(2^(2/3))

FMMurphy

I am trying to put 2(2/3) + 3(2^(2/3)) in the simplest form. Could you please help me?

You've got a rational term and a term containing a cube root. I don't see that there is anything you can do to "simplify" this. You might restate it (using "cbrt()" instead of "to the one-third power") or rearrange it, but I don't see it "simplifying" at all.

Eliz.

FMMurphy said:
I am trying to put 2(2/3) + 3(2^(2/3)) in the simplest form. Could you please help me?

Only thing I see possible is multiplying the 2(2/3) down to (2/3)(2/1) = (4/3)

Or, as stated above, restate your 3(2^(2/3)) with a radical as:

3(2^2)^(1/3) = 3*cbrt(4)

So, in the end, you would end up with (4/3) + 3 * cbrt(4)

I believe that is how you would do it. :?

That's all I could come up with, which is a restatement, using radicals, of the original expression. (Okay, we multiplied the 2 and the 2/3, but otherwise, we really didn't "simplify".)

If they're wanting anything else, I can't guess what it would be.

Eliz.

I tend to be pretty bad at math, but I believe that would simplify to 4[2^(2/3)].

It's like collecting like terms. They have the same base and exponent so you can add them.

Correct, axrw.
Murph, please take time to LOOK at your typing before hitting the send button :shock:

FMMurphy said:
Actually thr problem is 2^(2/3/) +[3 ]2^(2/3)
What is the meaning of the second "slash" in the first fraction? What is the meaning of the brackets in the second term?

Thank you.

Eliz.

Hello, FMMurphy!

\(\displaystyle \text{Simplify: }\L\:2^{\frac{2}{3}}\,+\,3\cdot2^{\frac{2}{3}}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{We have: }\L\:4\cdot2^{\frac{2}{3}} \;=\;2^2\cdot2^{\frac{2}{3}} \;=\;2^{\frac{8}{3}}\)

You have the problem right but where did you get the 4*2^(2/3) ? I understand from that how you got 2^(8/3) but I don't see where the 4 came from. Sorry for the misunderstanding in the problem. I'm just learning how to type these things!

FMMurphy said:
where did you get the 4*2^(2/3) ? I understand from that how you got 2^(8/3) but I don't see where the 4 came from.
One apple plus three apples equals four apples.
It is just that simple.

Here an apple is \(\displaystyle 2^{\frac{2}{3}}\).