simplify math expression: 8 x 4 + (22 - 17)

notagenius

I need help with a simple math equation that I am trying to help my son with. This is the first time I have used this and I feel like I know how to solve this, but it has been awhile since I was in school. The equation is 8x4+(22-17)= ?

I think that you would do the equation in parenthesis first and then the rest and the answer I came up with was 47. Can anyone tell me if this is right?

Re: simple math equation

notagenius said:
I need help with a simple math equation that I am trying to help my son with. This is the first time I have used this and I feel like I know how to solve this, but it has been awhile since I was in school. The equation is 8x4+(22-17)= ?

I think that you would do the equation in parenthesis first and then the rest and the answer I came up with was 47. Can anyone tell me if this is right?
Relax. You seem to be going the right direction.

8*4 + (22-17)

Parentheses are first.

8*4 + 5

Multiplication and Division Left to Right

32 + 5

Addition and Subtraction Left to Right

Where did you wander off?

sorry I had the numbers wrong. The 17 should have actually been 7, so it should read 8x4+(22-7)=?. So with that being said then

22-7=15

8x4=32

and

32+15=47

Right?

OK, now you have to change your screen name. Obviously, that is not correct, but your answer is!!

Good work.

Ha Ha that is a good one! That is why I said I am NOTagenius.....Thank you for your help!!!!