Sine angle addition identity - problem with proof

syncmaster913n

Hello,

I am trying to prove to myself, for fun/learning, the sine angle addition identity. Disregarding whether my approach is correct or not, I'm getting a strange algebraic result near the end that I am finding hard to explain. So I came up with this drawing:

attachment.php

And I want to prove that:

attachment.php

I did the following:

attachment.php

I wanted to get rid of the C from the denominator of the first term, so I divided the numerator and denominator by C:

attachment.php

Keeping in mind that (from the triangles image above):

attachment.php

What I wanted to do now is prove that:

attachment.php

The only way for this equation to hold however would be for this to be true:

attachment.php

And for this in turn to be true, a/c must equal 1, which clearly cannot be the case.

I'm guessing the mistake is trivial and right under my nose. Would someone be kind enough to point it out?

Attachments

• angle addition identity.png
    angle addition identity.png
    3 KB · Views: 23
  • 1.gif
    1.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 3.gif
    3.gif
    894 bytes · Views: 23
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 4.gif
    4.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 5.gif
    5.gif
    683 bytes · Views: 23
  • 6.gif
    6.gif
    389 bytes · Views: 23
If I am reading this correctly, you are starting with sin(x+ y)= sin(x)cos(y)+ cos(x)sin(y) which is, after all, what you want to prove

In the very first step you appear to replace sin(x) with \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{e}\). Where did you get that? That triangle is not a right triangle!

Thank you very much - this was exactly my error - somehow I just "assumed" (since the one and the large one are) and just went with that assumption. Thanks again!