Sketch Logs and Exponential Functions

G

This is a two-part question.

I was able to solve PART A but do not understand PART B.

PART A: Using graph paper, draw the graphs of y = 3^x and y = logSUB3 (x) on the SAME xy-plane.

PART B: Describe the transformation that MAPS either of these graphs onto the other.

Hint: Consider what you've learned about domains, ranges, and inverse functions.

Eliz.

Does that mean that these topics have not yet been covered in class? (If not, your book must have some very non-standard way of approaching these concepts, is why I ask.)

Thank you.

Eliz.

ok

The books I have purchased online have not been very helpful at all. I may not be a math wiz but there are so many questions that I know are not hard to grasp but math books tend to be complicated in nature. So many students complain about the wording in math books. This is why I love books like MATH FOR DUMMIES and the like.

Okay, but there are many concepts in play here. It would help if you narrowed down where you're confused.

Are you familiar with functions, domains, and ranges? If not, we can find links for lessons on this.

Are you familiar with inverse functions, and how the domains and ranges (and graphs) compare to those of the original functions?

Are you familiar with exponential and logarithmic functions, and their graphs?

Thank you.

Eliz.

Re: ok

interval said:
This tip does not help at all.
A very important part of the study of mathematics is learning how to think. This response, sadly, does not indicate a willingness to pursue that goal. Stop. Back up. Think. Consider. It is NOT the mere memorization of a few tricks. You are retraining your brain. You should not expect to see everything at first glance. Ponder. Ruminate.

Re: ok

tkhunny said:
Stop. Back up. Think. Consider. It is NOT the mere memorization of a few tricks. You are retraining your brain. You should not expect to see everything at first glance. Ponder. Ruminate.

...PLUS ready yourself for 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration :shock:

ok

I thank all of you for your tips, especially Stapel.

To Stapel, here is my reply to your questions:

1) Are you familiar with functions, domains, and ranges? If not, we can find links for lessons on this. I AM NOT TOO CLEAR ON WHAT A DOMAIN AND A RANGE REALLY IS IN TERMS OF FUNCTIONS.

2) Are you familiar with inverse functions, and how the domains and ranges (and graphs) compare to those of the original functions?...I AM SLIGHTLY FAMILIAR WITH SOME INVERSE FUNCTIONS AND SOME INVERSE TRIG FUNCTIONS BUT WHY WE MUST RESTRICT THE DOMAIN AND NOT THE RANGE, ETC IS FOG TO ME.

3)Are you familiar with exponential and logarithmic functions, and their graphs?..I AM SLIGHTLY FAMILIAR WITH THESE FUNCTIONS. I KNOW THEY ARE INVERSES OF EACH OTHER. A LOG FUNCTION EXPLAINS AN EXPONENTIAL AND VICE-VERSA. IS THERE IS NICE, EASY MATH SITE FOR DUMMIES WHERE I CAN LEARN ADVANCED ALGEBRA CONCEPTS LIKE THIS? ALSO, DO YOU A GOOD, EASY SITE THAT EXPLAINS THE WORLD OF CONICS AT THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL?

Thank you.

It sounds as though your class skipped a lot of underlying material, and that's coming back to hurt you now. Here are some lessons:

1) Functions and Function Notation

2) Inverse Functions and Function Composition

3) Exponential Functions, Graphing Exponential Functions, Logarithms, Log Rules, Graphing Logarithic Functions, Solving Exponential Functions, Solving Logarithmic Function

As you can see, this is a lot of material. If you feel up to, the above lessons may serve to help you get caught up. But these are many varied and complex topics, and you might be better served by hiring a tutor and spending a few weeks in daily face-to-face study sessions.

Good luck!

Eliz.