Slope Intercept Equation with parallel

mhester88

I'm not understanding this question at all and am not sure how to even begin answering this. Any help would be appreciated.

Write the slope-intercept equation of the line that is parallel to -9x-7y=4 and has the same y-intercept as the graph of -5x+11y=-22.

I think that parallel lines will have the same slope as the first equation and the same y-intercept as the second equation. The slope for -9x-7y=4 is -9/7, so the equation they are asking for will also have a slope of -9/7. The y-intercept of -5x+11y=-22 is (0,-2), so the new equation will have a y-intercept of (0,-2). Will you please verify if this is correct? Would this also mean the equation they are asking for is y=-9/7x+2?

Close. Your slope is correct and your y-intercept (0, -2) is correct, however, your equation shows a positive 2.

y = -9/7 x - 2.

Hi, thank you, I went back and forth on the 2 because I thought it was a + -2. Ah, I see now. That makes it just a -2!

Ok awesome! So it appears the slope-intercept equation of the line that is parallel to -9x-7y=4 and has the same y-intercept as the graph of -5x+11y=-22 is y = -9/7 x - 2.