So may anyone please explain to me what's subtract means?

Ryan$

Hi guys, I don't know why but I find it hard sometimes to visualize a subtraction.
I mean lets assume I have 5 zoos - 4 zoos, how many zoos are left, 1 zoo .. but once the question talks about bits in computing world, then for example 20 bits - 4bits, how many bits left? I sometime get stuck three hours on that simply question .... and I think that's because I don't know what subtract means, as a result I must first understand what's the term subtract mean in order to get used by it and manipulate it by problems/question.

So may anyone please explain to me what's subtract means? dont tell me it means subtract two quantity .. I need something more senseable .. thanks alot

Otis

Subtraction is the inverse operation of addition.

💡

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
We define a - b as the number c such that a = b + c. For example, 20 - 4 is the number x such that 20 = 4 + x, namely 16.

Harry_the_cat

Line up 5 oranges on your kitchen bench. Take 2 away. Now there are 3 on the bench. You have "subtracted" 2 oranges.

Ryan$

thanks alot

Ryan$

Hi guys, I already know that almost of the helpers here have known of my problem of subtraction so please take that into consideration and I need to understand, so endure me :) !

lets assume that I have 10 electric polls , which they are numbered from 1 to 10 ! , I was on poll number 1 and each time I'm jumping to the other poll. so if I was on poll number one and I jumped three jumps then 1 + 3 (polls) = 4 , so I'm on poll number 4 ! so now lets assume I want to back two steps so if I do 4-2 then I will be between poll number 2 and poll number 3 so actually I will not go to poll number 2, and that's converse the math which 4-2=2 so I must be on poll 2 .. any help?

what I try to say, when I was on poll number 4 and subtracted two polls, then actually smashed two polls and I'm now between the poll number 2 and poll number 3...not actually on the poll number 2 ... so that's converse to math .. any help? I think I'm not understanding the idea ..

Ryan$

what's confusing me about subtraction, if I'm on polls number 4 I smashed "analogy" two polls, then I would be on the space between the poll number 2 and poll number 3 .. so it's converse to math which 4-2=2 which I must be on poll number 2

Denis

Take a pill Ryan :geek:

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
Why between two poles? (That's the spelling you want, by the way.)

Here's jumping 3 steps, from #1 to #4:
Code:
o-->o-->o-->o   o   o   o   o   o   o  ... 1 + 3 = 4
Here's jumping back 2 steps from #4:
Code:
o   o<--o<--o   o   o   o   o   o   o  ... 4 - 2 = 2
Now you're at #2.

Who or what is smashed?

Ryan$

Why between two poles? (That's the spelling you want, by the way.)

Here's jumping 3 steps, from #1 to #4:
Code:
o-->o-->o-->o   o   o   o   o   o   o  ... 1 + 3 = 4
Here's jumping back 2 steps from #4:
Code:
o   o<--o<--o   o   o   o   o   o   o  ... 4 - 2 = 2
Now you're at #2.

Who or what is smashed?
I mean with "between" like this case:
o o im here o<----o <---o

If you see "im here" means thats im between third and second poll ... Not on #2 poll!!! However i subtract two "back two jumps" and didn't arrive to poll #2..any help?!

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
Why do you believe you would not be on the pole? You must have some reason for saying this, if you expect us to take you seriously.

HallsofIvy

Elite Member
It's not clear to me why you would think that "20 bits - 4bits" is at all different from "5 zoos - 4 zoos". (Actually, subtracting bits makes a lot more sense to me than subtracting zoos!) Perhaps you are working with a problem where you have to convert from one unit to another: subtract 4 bytes, 7 bits from 9 bytes, 2 bits?

Since 7 bits is larger than 2 bits, "borrow" from the bytes. One byte is 8 bits so "9 bytes, 2 bits" is the same as "8 bytes, 10 bits". Subtracting 4 bytes, 7 bits from 8 bytes, 10 bits is 4 bytes, 3 bits.

Otis

HallsofIvy

Elite Member
"Pole" or "poll"?

Otis

"Pole" or "poll"?
It's pole, as in 'electric pole' (see post #6).

Dr. Peterson already advised Ryan$ regarding the spelling, but I think Ryan$ is not always willing (or able) to pay attention to replies in their entirety.

😐