Solve 3^(2x+1)-10(3^X)+3=0, etc for X

Beans

1) 3^(2x+1)-10(3^X)+3=0

and...

2) 3(log8(x)^2) -log8(x^10)+3=0

please please help I'm confused on how to start them or finish for that matter ><

thanks...

Beans said:
I'm confused on how to start them or finish for that matter
Have you not yet studied how to solve exponential or logarithmic equations...? Has your class at least covered logarithms, or are you needing help with that, too? :?:

We're glad to help, but we need to know where, exactly, you're having difficulty. So please be specific. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

:arrow: P.S. Welcome to FreeMathHelp! 8-)

haha thanks for the welcome

Anyways, We studied them, but it was last year so i'm a little sketchy on the details.
this is sort of a group thing there called problem sets and are kinda crazy hard. Well, for the first problem we were thinking of changing them to all have 3 as the base but then your stuck with the -10. we changed the 3 to the other side of the problem and then divide by -10 but then your left with 3^(2x+1)+(3^x)=3/10 so i totally don't think thats right....

For the first one:

\(\displaystyle \L\\3^{2x+1}-10\cdot{3^{x}}+3=0\)

Rewrite the first part as \(\displaystyle \L\\3(3^{x})^{2}\)

That way you have \(\displaystyle 3^{x}\) in all terms.

\(\displaystyle \L\\3(3^{x})^{2}-10\cdot{3^{x}}+3=0\)

Let \(\displaystyle \L\\u=3^{x}\)

This gives:

\(\displaystyle \L\\3u^{2}-10u+3=0\)

Now, solve the quadratic. Once you have 'u', you can use it to find x from

u=3^x.

Beans said:
this is sort of a group thing there called problem sets and are kinda crazy hard. Well, for the first problem we were thinking of changing them to all have 3 as the base but then your stuck with the -10. we changed the 3 to the other side of the problem and then divide by -10 but then your left with 3^(2x+1)+(3^x)=3/10 so i totally don't think thats right....
I'm not sure what the above means...? (Capitalization and punctuation can be very helpful in this regard.)

:!: Note: I will be assuming, in what follows, that you mean "x" and "X" to actually be the same thing. (This is not mathematically standard, so please correct me if I am mistaken!) :!:

1) It might help to notice the following:

. . . . .3<sup>2x + 1</sup> = (3<sup>2x</sup>)(3<sup>1</sup>) = (3<sup>2x</sup>)(3) = 3 ((3<sup>x</sup>)<sup>2</sup>)

Then think about how you'd solve 3y<sup>2</sup> - 10y + 3 = 0.... :idea:

2) I will guess that you mean the logs to be "base eight". If so, then try thinking about the following:

. . . . .log<sub>8</sub>(x<sup>10</sup>) = 10 log<sub>8</sub>(x)

...and think about how you'd solve 3y<sup>2</sup> - 10y + 3 = 0. :wink:

Eliz.

galactus holy cow wow thank you so much, i never even thought about doing that for this problem. I'm a dork that makes it so easy! thanks!!!

AH i can so figure these out now thank you both of you! the U is the almighty letter of the day woots!! thank you thank you thank you both of you!! :lol: