solve for sum of variables? Given a=bc+de, can I solve for b+d=(something w/o b or d)?

Adamos

Good day. I have equation like this a=bc+de and I wonder whether i can solve it for b+d = something not including b and d. Is it possible? If it is how can i do it? Thank you in advance.

There is no way to isolate both b and d. No matter what you do b will be a function of d (or d is a function of b.) The best you could do would be something like this:
\(\displaystyle a = bc + de\)

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{a}{c} = b + \dfrac{de}{c}\)

\(\displaystyle b = \dfrac{a}{c} - \dfrac{de}{c} = \dfrac{1}{c} \left ( a - de \right )\)

Then add d to both sides:
\(\displaystyle b + d = \dfrac{1}{c} \left ( a - de \right ) + d = \dfrac{1}{c} \left ( a - de + dc \right )\)

No matter what you do you can't get rid of the d on the RHS.

-Dan

There is no way to isolate both b and d. No matter what you do b will be a function of d (or d is a function of b.) The best you could do would be something like this:
\(\displaystyle a = bc + de\)

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{a}{c} = b + \dfrac{de}{c}\)

\(\displaystyle b = \dfrac{a}{c} - \dfrac{de}{c} = \dfrac{1}{c} \left ( a - de \right )\)

Then add d to both sides:
\(\displaystyle b + d = \dfrac{1}{c} \left ( a - de \right ) + d = \dfrac{1}{c} \left ( a - de + dc \right )\)

No matter what you do you can't get rid of the d on the RHS.

-Dan
Are you 100% about what you said??:)

Except for the case c = e yes, I am 100% sure.

(Don't embarass me Mommy! ? )

-Dan