Solve the equation for all possible solutions

meer

Hi, I need help on solving the following eq for x, and need to know how many solutions are possible?

x^5-2x^3=9

Thank you.

Hi, I need help on solving the following eq for x, and need to know how many solutions are possible?

x^5-2x^3=9

Thank you.
Please tell us what you are currently studying, so we can have an idea of what methods you can use, and even of what sort of answer is intended. For example, is you are learning Descartes' Rule of Signs, this would not necessarily be asking for the actual number of solutions; and if you are not, it might only be asking whether you can be sure there is at least one. The meaning of "possible" depends on context!

On the other hand, if you know a little calculus, or can use a graphing program or calculator, then the word "possible" is not needed in the question. You can find the actual number, if not the exact solutions.

no, but I am done with this somehow.
I see from your newer post that you are in fact studying calculus, not just beginning algebra; I suppose you used that to determine how many (real) solutions there are (by finding the relative maximum, and drawing inferences about the graph).

But I notice that, beyond the question you explicitly asked us (the number of "possible" solutions), you actually wanted to solve the equation.

That leaves more questions. If you are allowing for complex solutions, then there are five; if you want only real solutions, there is one. But either way, you probably can't find exact solutions. The best you can probably do is to find approximate numerical solutions.

If you showed us the actual problem you are trying to solve, there might be more to say; but evidently you don't want more.

Translation might not be accurate.First you can try to graph them and then you can see how many solutions there is,So that you can use the existence theorem of zero point of function,as well as bisection method to confirm them in case your graph is not accurate.More about bisection method is below.1671270950829.jpg

Attachments

• 16712703618074554586949417689456.jpg
    16712703618074554586949417689456.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1