solve the task for flows in the network

kardy44

Hello, my brother got this assignment and the task is basically the title, to solve x1,2,3,4. To be honest we dont even know how to start so every help would be much appreciated.

Bez názvu.png

Thanks in advance

Hello, my brother got this assignment and the task is basically the title, to solve x1,2,3,4. To be honest we dont even know how to start so every help would be much appreciated.

View attachment 22863

Thanks in advance
If I were to do this problem:

I would write the equations for conservation of mass at points A, B, C & D and solve.​

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about these problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, do you understand what the chart is showing? What are the values of \(\displaystyle x_1\), \(\displaystyle x_2\), \(\displaystyle x_3\), and \(\displaystyle x_4\) supposed to mean? You call these flows. Can we think of them as the amounts flowing through pipes, perhaps? Or traffic moving down streets? In any case should the amount flowing into an intersection be the same as the amount flowing out? (That is what Subhotosh Kahn is refering to as "conservation of mass".)

For example, look at intersection "A". You have 350 going in and \(\displaystyle x_1\) and \(\displaystyle x_2\) going out. If the amount flowing into an intersection has to be the same as the amoung flowing out then \(\displaystyle x_1+ x_2= 350\). Similarly at intersection "B". You have \(\displaystyle x_1\) flowing in, 100 and \(\displaystyle x_3\) flowing out. If the amount flowing into an intersection has to be the same as the amount flowing out, we must have \(\displaystyle x_1= 100+ x_3\).

Do the same for intersections C and D to get four equations to solve for \(\displaystyle x_1\), \(\displaystyle x_2\), \(\displaystyle x_3\), and \(\displaystyle x_4\).

Last edited:

View attachment 22863

Thanks in advance
Equation for Node A:

Input = output \(\displaystyle \ \to \ \)350 = x1 + x2 ................................... (1)​

Equation for Node B:

Input = output \(\displaystyle \ \to \ \)x1 = x3 + 100 ................................... (2)​

Equation for Node C:

Input = output \(\displaystyle \ \to \ \)x3 + x4 = 30 ................................... (3)​

Equation for Node D:

Input = output \(\displaystyle \ \to \ \)x2 = x4 + 200 ................................... (4)​

Majority of the work is done (setting up the equations). Solve the 4 equations above to calculate the unknowns.