Solving a Base e Logarithmic Equation

tristatefabricatorsinc

Solve for x:

ln(2x-3) + ln x = ln 4

I got...

ln(2x^2 - 3x) = ln 4

2x^2 - 3x = 4

2x^2 - 3x - 4 = 0

I do not know where to go from here, I cannot get this to factor????

When I used the quadratic formula I got...

3 +- sqrt (41)
----------------

is this correct? Then I would have to test this in the equation to see which one works?

It is correct.

With natural logs (well, technically anywhere, but especially with natural logs) you ALWAYS have to test your answer in the original equation. I can already tell you that the negative answer will not work because you can't take the natural log of a negative number.

Test the positive answer. If it works, you've got it. If not, it's the empty set.

It is also very wise to consider what you are doing BEFORE you do it. If you look at the original equation, there are a couple of hints.

ln x -- This term tells us that x MUST BE > 0. Don't even test negative values. They won't work.

ln(2x-3) -- This term tells us tat 2x-3 > 0, or 2x > 3, or x > 3/2. Don't test anything postive less than or equal to 3/2, either. They have no chance of working.

Interestingly, when you took your first step, you changed it to ln(2x^2 - 3x). This won't work for 0 <= x <= 3/2. You've ADDED solutions less than zero!!! That's why you have to test things. You may add solutions that you don't notice.

When you take the next step, 2x^2 - 3x = 4, you've lost the logarithms entirely and all the areas that didn't work when you started are now just fine!! Ack! Test your answers. Never trust yourself. It is NOT a sign of weakness. :wink: