Solving equation

freek_g

Hi!

I'm taking a course in Optics, which obviously contains some math. Here, I'm trying to calculate the refractive index of a material (but that's not really important here), which is nB. I'm trying to solve the equation conceptually.

Some comments:

• I have to solve eq (3) for nB
  • You can substitute eq (1) in eq (3)
  • Eq (2) (follows from 1) is used to substitute s1

I hope it's a bit clear, thanks in advance! Eq 1 and 2 are part of the steps you go through in the exercise, that's why I included them.

optics.png

To clarify, is your goal to eliminate s1, so you get nB in terms of nA, f, and R only?

Please show us your attempt, so we can see where you need help:

To clarify, is your goal to eliminate s1, so you get nB in terms of nA, f, and R only?

Please show us your attempt, so we can see where you need help:
Yes, nA, f and R are known.

My attempts so far only make the equation worse or more complicated. The s1 term also contains the nB so I tried substituting that into eq (3), using eq (2), but then I get this:

optics2.png

Trying to solve that for nB only makes it complicated. Do you maybe have a tip?

Thanks in advance

One way to avoid complication would be to clear fractions from equation (3) before doing the substitution, and again after. Or you might substitute in [MATH]2R-s_1[/MATH] and simplify that first to a single fraction, then replace that in (3), writing the division by a fraction as multiplication by its reciprocal.

I would also simplify some names while doing the work, such as replacing [MATH]n_A[/MATH] with [MATH]A[/MATH], just so there's less to write.

You'll get a quadratic equation, if I did my work correctly, and will need the quadratic formula, which will produce a positively ugly result ...

I also got a quadratic formula, which (from the lecture) didn't seem to be necessary. I'll try it again soon, and post it here. Maybe I wrote some down incorrectly. Nevertheless, thank you!