solving equations with grouping symbols: a-5/10=2a-3/5

waffles383

i understand all the other problems on this worksheet, but this one i am having trouble with.
it is: a-5/10=2a-3/5
it is the fractions that ae confusing me... ~thanks for your help~ =]

waffles383 said:
a-five over ten=2a-three over five the 5 over 10 and 3 over 5 are written as fractions, but it was kinda hard for me to show that on a computer =]
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you mean by this...? :shock:

To learn how to format ("to show that on a computer"), please follow the links in the "Read Before Posting" thread that you read before posting, and follow those instructions.

Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Re: solving equations with grouping symbols

\(\displaystyle \frac{5}{{10}}a = 2a\frac{3}{5}\)
Correct? Have you learned how to get a common denominator? This is what you need to do.

Re:

stapel said:
waffles383 said:
a-five over ten=2a-three over five the 5 over 10 and 3 over 5 are written as fractions, but it was kinda hard for me to show that on a computer =]
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you mean by this...? :shock:

To learn how to format ("to show that on a computer"), please follow the links in the "Read Before Posting" thread that you read before posting, and follow those instructions.

Thank you! :D

Eliz.
sry.. i edited it
so now its a-5/10=(2)a-3/5
does that help any?

Random said:
Correct? Have you learned how to get a common denominator? This is what you need to do.

thanks you! thats so obvious now that you mentions it. sometimes i can be such and idiot!

waffles383 said:
Random said:
thanks you! thats so obvious now that you mentions it. sometimes i can be such and idiot!
Don't think there's any multiplication involved here: look at that equation: the a's cancel out!

I think equation is: a - (5/10) = 2a - (3/5)

>sry.. i edited it
so now its a-5/10=(2)a-3/5
does that help any?

a-5/10=(2)a-3/5 is \(\displaystyle a-\frac{5}{10}=2a-\frac{3}{5}\).

If that is what you mean then multiply both sides of the equation by the least common denominator, 10, and go from there.
If that is NOT what is meant, you need to use parenthesis to clarify. Further, it helps to use standard English including complete words, capital letters and apostrophes, so we old folks can understand what you are saying