SOME HELP PLEASE!!!!

ejgarber

3/5(6x-6)> (or Equal to)15

I would like some help solving this problem in detail if I could... Thanks so much to all thoughs who assist.

NO NEED TO GRAPH JUST SOME ASSISTANTS SOLVING

Thanks,

EJGarber

Hello, EJ!

\(\displaystyle \frac{3}{5}(6x\,-\,6)\:\geq\:15\)
The rules for solving an inequality are the same for solving an equation ... with one exception:
\(\displaystyle \;\;\)When multiplying or dividing by a <u>negative</u> quantity, reverse the inequality.

We have:\(\displaystyle \:\frac{3}{5}(6x\,-\,6)\:\geq\:15\)

Multiply both sides by \(\displaystyle \frac{5}{3}:\;\;\frac{5}{3}\cdot\frac{3}{5}(6x\,-\,6)\:\geq\:\frac{5}{3}\cdot15\;\;\Rightarrow\;\;6x\,-\,6\:\geq\:25\)

Add 6 to both sides: \(\displaystyle \:6x\:\geq\:31\)

Divide by 6: \(\displaystyle \:x\:\geq\:\frac{31}{6}\)

Here is two more questions for you if you please.... First is a math question and the question is " Which of the following ordered pairs is a solution of 2y=-3x-16? Possible Answers: (4,-2); (2,-4); (-4,-2); (-2,-4)
Which one is it and Why, How?

Second question is it possible to find slopes through points on a TI-83Plus if so HOW?

THANKS ALOT,

EJGarber]

1) Please post new questions as new threads, rather than as replies to old threads, where they tend to be overlooked. Thank you.

2) "Solution points" make the equation true. So plug in the given x- and y-values. If the equation simplifies to a true statement (such as "3 = 3"), then the point is a solution; if not (such as "4 = 7"), then the point is not a solution.

3) The process for finding the slope of a line will vary, depending upon the information provided. What process are you trying to set up on your calculator? (This question should probably be re-posted to the "Calculator Questions" forum.

Eliz.

ejgarber said:
Here is two more questions for you if you please.... First is a math question and the question is " Which of the following ordered pairs is a solution of 2y=-3x-16? Possible Answers: (4,-2); (2,-4); (-4,-2); (-2,-4)
Which one is it and Why, How?

Second question is it possible to find slopes through points on a TI-83Plus if so HOW?

THANKS ALOT,

EJGarber]

First question:
A point (x, y) is a solution to an equation involving x and y if the equation is TRUE when you substitute the coordinates of the point for x and y in the equation.

Your equation is
2y = - 3x - 16

Let's check the first answer choice, (4, -2). Substitute 4 for x and -2 for y:
2(-2) = -3(4) - 16
Now do the arithmetic:
-4 = -12 - 16
-4 = -28
This is obviously not true, so (4, -2) is NOT a solution for the given equation.

Now, you check the other answer choices the same way.

Second Question:
I don't know because I do not possess a TI-83. However, it should not be very difficult to find the slope given two points if you use the following formula:

slope = (y<sub>2</sub> - y<sub>1</sub>)/(x<sub>2</sub> - x<sub>1</sub>)