Special Functions

mtiller1

In learning trig functions, we had to be told that 5/3+4 was NOT the same as 5/3 + 5/4 (luckily I knew that much :wink: ); however he said that there is one category of "very special" functions that follow the form:

f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y)

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Angel

Let f(x) = x.

So f(y) = y.

And f(x + y) = x + y = f(x) + f(y)

:lol:

Hello, Angel!

In learning trig functions, we had to be told that \(\displaystyle \frac{5}{3+4}\) was NOT the same as \(\displaystyle \frac{5}{3}\,+\,\frac{5}{4}\) (luckily I knew that much.)

However, he said that there is one category of "very special" functions that follow the form:

\(\displaystyle f(x\,+\,y)\:=\:f(x)\,+\,f(y)\)

Anyone know?
I can think of one type.

. . For example: .\(\displaystyle f(x)\,=\,3x\)

mtiller1 said:
...there is one category of "very special" functions that follow the form "f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y)" Anyone know?
Are you asking for examples of such functions? The name of this sort of function? What is it that you're asking if we know?

Thank you.

Eliz.

Are you asking for examples of such functions? The name of this sort of function? What is it that you're asking if we know?

I need to understand the concept, so I guess an explanation of an example (was that clear as mud or what?!?).

Thanks for any help!
Angel

mtiller1 said:
I need to understand the concept....
Um... "the concept" of what? That a certain thing exists...? This has already been shown (by giving examples).

Please reply with clarification. Thank you.

Eliz.