speed, distance and time

why t = 77 hours ?
why hours? if 77 is the amount of miles that they are going to be apart from each other?
Which "response" are you answering?

Study response #12 and/or #16 with a piece of paper and pencil - writing down each step so that brain gets a bit of time to immerse and digest.

I am asking about this;
why t = 77 hours ?
Why only hours as unit rates?
I am not only studying everything but also classifying each problem by categories but i need to understand the rationale behind every step, the why of everything that is done. that is my doubt,
why 77 hours? . Don't forget that what you may take for granted I struggle over.
How is 109 expressed?
I deeply thank you all for your replies and help but i am a student of math and you are the experts.

Last edited:
But i will follow your advice and re-write everything on paper and study it. Allow m some time, please, and i will see if i make any sense of the unit rates used. THANKS!

#14 Suppose A and B are running side-by-side (along two parallel straight lines) in the same direction with the same speed. As time passes, would the distance between A and B keep on increasing or stay same or keep on decreasing?

Well, i don't know the answer to that. If anyone can explain, please. I know that in the problem the speed is the same, constant.

If i continue asking questions ids because i am studying everything you have told me, and please, allow mw to tell you when i do not understand something. if I keep these queries to myself, i am not honoring your efforts.

Mr Khan, you asked me to re-write everything. I am doing it.
You also asked this question of me @14

What is the speed of Mario - relative to Luigi (who is travelling in the opposite direction)

Well, according to your explanation there, adding both speeds will then give Mario's relative to Luigi's= 109 mph.
it is clearly now where the 109 comes from.
I assume that the unit rate here is mph.

@16

They are moving away from each other at a speed (47 + 62 = 109 mph = ) 109/60 miles/min

What I don't understand here is why miles/minutes?.
I'll await for your clarification, Mr Khan , to continue.

I am sorry but I didn't understand the following statement:

for a distance 109/60 mile they drive 1 minute

for a distance 1 mile they drive 60/109 minute

Where is the 60 coming from here?
why 1 minute?

Ms. Harriett, I was replying to Mr Khan first not out of unpolitness but because I wanted to say the way you presented it was easier on me. Only this question:
Why do you multiply by 60 ( minutes)?.
that is why I don't get.
Thanks for helping.
It should be because 50 minutes is an hour, but I am failing to see the connection. Of course, Mr Khan had the same thing and I didn't get that either. If you would care to explain i would appreciate it no end.

Last edited:
@16
They are moving away from each other at a speed (47 + 62 = 109 mph = ) 109/60 miles/min
What I don't understand here is why miles/minutes?.
I'll await for your clarification, Mr Khan , to continue.
I am sorry but I didn't understand the following statement:
Where is the 60 coming from here?
why 1 minute?
Since Mario and Luigi is going in opposite directions (assuming straight and parallel stretch.

for a distance 77 miles they drive (60/109 * 77 =46220/19 = ) 42.385 = 42.4 minutes
The "relative" speed is 109 (mph) - you dont have to use 60 - if you don't want to. In that case your answer will come out in hours - and it will be

0.706 hours.

There are 60 minutes, not 50 minutes as you stated above, in an hour. I assume that was a typo.

Now what method do you use to convert hours to minutes? For example how would you convert 5 hours to minutes?

BTW, it is Ms Harry as Harry_the_Cat is a female (I can only assume that the cat named Harry is a male cat)

Oh, I understand now!. Thanks, Mr Khan and Mr Jomo. Thank you very much. Pardon my mathematical ignorance!.
It was a typo.:)

Last edited:
To answer Mr Jomo's question
5 hours to minutes
1h=60 minutes
5h= 60*5
300 minutes.

Ms. Harriett, I was replying to Mr Khan first not out of unpolitness but because I wanted to say the way you presented it was easier on me. Only this question:
Why do you multiply by 60 ( minutes)?.
that is why I don't get.
Thanks for helping.
It should be because 50 minutes is an hour, but I am failing to see the connection. Of course, Mr Khan had the same thing and I didn't get that either. If you would care to explain i would appreciate it no end.
As Mr Khan says, if you don't multiply by 60 your answer will be in hours. That's ok, except that the question specifically asks for the answer in minutes.