Speed, distance, time

eddy2017

Elite Member
A friend of mine sent me this problem. I don't know if he miscopied it.

John travels 77 miles for 8 hours to reach his destination. Joseph travels in the same direction and at the same speed, but it takes him 11 1/2 hours to get there and he stops twice, 15 minutes each time, on the way to his destination.what is the time that took Joseph to get to his destination.

Thanks a lot for your help,
eddy

I know the formula to use here is
Rate of speed = d/t
I have distance = 77 miles
Speed?
Time it took Joseph to get to where he was going?

John travels 77 miles for 8 hours to reach his destination. Joseph travels in the same direction and at the same speed, but it takes him 11 1/2 hours to get there and he stops twice, 15 minutes each time, on the way to his destination.what is the time that took Joseph to get to his destination.

eddy
Please ask your friend to take a photo of the problem. Doesn't look right. The problem statement contains the answer: 11 1/2 hours.

I'm sorry. He says he copied it from somebody else and he might have confused the question in the problem. Might be rate of speed or distance but then how can we fix it, he
says he doesn't remember now. But it was like that. Might be distance or rate. I just hung up with him.
Sorry. If you can't think of another way in which a question could be asked, then I will have to forget about it. It looks like an interesting problem, though.
Thanks anyways.

John travels 77 miles for 8 hours to reach his destination.

What more do you want then the above. If they tell you how long it takes John to go somewhere and they ask you how long it takes John to go to that place then why do you need formulas or anything?

The answer to the question is.....?
Lev888 says the problem doesn't look right. My friend could have mistaken the question. Might have been another question, and not this one about time.

John travels 77 miles for 8 hours to reach his destination.

What more do you want then the above. If they tell you how long it takes John to go somewhere and they ask you how long it takes John to go to that place then why do you need formulas or anything?
The question is about Joseph.

Yes, he told me he copied fast, but he was able to hear that they were asking how long it took Joseph to get to the same destination as John.

He is Spanish-speaking. His English is not bad but, now, I am not sure he got the question right. He swears by the context though.

John travels 77 miles for 8 hours to reach his destination. Joseph travels in the same direction and at the same speed, but it takes him 11 1/2 hours to get there and he stops twice, 15 minutes each time, on the way to his destination. what is the time that took Joseph to get to his destination.

eddy
This is NOT a math problem at all.

It is a reading comprehension problem!!

Lol. Sorry. I just wanted to help him. Let's forget about it.
Thank you, guys.

Ok, yes the problem is about Joseph and it say his time of travel.

Lol. Sorry. I just wanted to help him. Let's forget about it.
Thank you, guys.
There is nothing to forget. It outright says that the travel time for Joseph was 11 1/2 hours. Just tell your friend that the answer is right there.

I'll do that, sir, but with all due respect, I have never seen a problem with the answer so explicit. It is okay, though.

How can the answer be anything else? It says it took him 11 1/2 including 2-15 minutes breaks.

You can use any formulas you want but you can't go against what is given, never.

That's right. I was thinking more along the lines of a faulty writing of the problem.

That's right. I was thinking more along the lines of a faulty writing of the problem.
How can you say there is a fault. They tell you the answer to their question. There is no fault.

Here is a question for you.
Let x= 9. Now if y=3z+6 and when y =9 it turns out that z=1. So if w=3z+9 what does x equal??