Split - same issue, I need major help! ANYONE

kelly38

What is the slope of the line graphed below?
KH_Math_Readiness_8.EE.5_2nd_Final_3.GIF

There is a certain proportional relationship in which the y-value increases by 7 every time the x-value increases by 3. Another proportional relationship is graphed below. What is the difference between the unit rates of the two relationships?
8EE5_Final2_Graph1c.gif

Two lines are graphed below on the same coordinate plane. What is the sum of their slopes?
KH_Math_Readiness_8.EE.5_2nd_Final_6_Take2.GIF

Two different proportional relationships are presented below. Which of the following is a true statement comparing their unit rates?
KH_Math_Readiness_8.EE.5_2nd_Final_9.GIF

CHOOSE ONEA
The first relationship has a unit rate that is about 2.2 less than the unit rate of the second relationship.

B
The first relationship has a unit rate that is about 2.8 greater than the unit rate of the second relationship.

C
The second relationship has a unit rate that is about 2.8 greater than the unit rate of the first relationship.

D
Both relationships have the same unit rate.

E
You cannot compare the unit rates because one relationship is represented in a table but the other is not.

What is the slope of the line graphed below?
KH_Math_Readiness_8.EE.5_2nd_Final_3.GIF

There is a certain proportional relationship in which the y-value increases by 7 every time the x-value increases by 3. Another proportional relationship is graphed below. What is the difference between the unit rates of the two relationships?
8EE5_Final2_Graph1c.gif

Two lines are graphed below on the same coordinate plane. What is the sum of their slopes?
KH_Math_Readiness_8.EE.5_2nd_Final_6_Take2.GIF

Two different proportional relationships are presented below. Which of the following is a true statement comparing their unit rates?
KH_Math_Readiness_8.EE.5_2nd_Final_9.GIF

CHOOSE ONEA
The first relationship has a unit rate that is about 2.2 less than the unit rate of the second relationship.

B
The first relationship has a unit rate that is about 2.8 greater than the unit rate of the second relationship.

C
The second relationship has a unit rate that is about 2.8 greater than the unit rate of the first relationship.

D
Both relationships have the same unit rate.

E
You cannot compare the unit rates because one relationship is represented in a table but the other is not.

Please start a new thread with new problem .... and....

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...217#post322217

We can help - we only help after you have shown your work - or ask a specific question (not a statement like "Don't know any of these")

Please share your work with us indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we may know where to begin to help you.

Please start a new thread with new problem .... and....

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL: http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...217#post322217
We can help - we only help after you have shown your work - or ask a specific question (not a statement like "Don't know any of these") <-------------------------------------------------------------

Please share your work with us indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we may know where to begin to help you.
You usally always say that to every person who starts a new thread. The only problem I see with his work is he/she had more than one problem in his/her thread. I don't even see why that is such a major issue. Anyway(to the person who started this thread), I am learning slope too, and I will try to help some more in a few minutes. Good luck with your problem!

I have noticed that information is only posted when the OP has shown no work, or at least given some thoughts/discussed why they are confused, etc. Unfortunately, this seems to be the rule rather than the exception.

Also, I have to agree that a topic with multiple questions is less desirable in that it can become convoluted and hard to follow if several people are helping with different questions and their posts become intermingled.

Both of these points are common to all of the math forums on which I participate. They are not meant to discourage posting, but rather to help the posters gain a better understanding by pinpointing just what concept has them stumbling, and for the better readability of topics for all viewers.8-)

Kelly,
I sent you a private message about your problem, I hope it helps!

I have noticed that information is only posted when the OP has shown no work, or at least given some thoughts/discussed why they are confused, etc. Unfortunately, this seems to be the rule rather than the exception.

Also, I have to agree that a topic with multiple questions is less desirable in that it can become convoluted and hard to follow if several people are helping with different questions and their posts become intermingled.

Both of these points are common to all of the math forums on which I participate. They are not meant to discourage posting, but rather to help the posters gain a better understanding by pinpointing just what concept has them stumbling, and for the better readability of topics for all viewers.8-)

Oh. Thanks, Mark, for pointing that out. :)

Hey, I just didn't want to see your enthusiasm and helpful nature be affected by what may be a misunderstanding of why math help sites have the policies they do. I find a little bit of explanation goes a long way to avoid potential misunderstanding.:grin:

Hey, I just didn't want to see your enthusiasm and helpful nature be affected by what may be a misunderstanding of why math help sites have the policies they do. I find a little bit of explanation goes a long way to avoid potential misunderstanding.:grin:
I understand. :) I'm not mad at you or anything if thats what you think. I wasn't being sarcastic when I said thanks. Thanks again! Back to Kelly's problem.

I understand. :) I'm not mad at you or anything if thats what you think. I wasn't being sarcastic when I said thanks. Thanks again! Back to Kelly's problem.
Lillybeth

Here is another issue for you to ponder. Education is mostly about getting kids to understand by getting them to do, not by having them watch. It's why little kids are always saying "let me do that." Instinctively, kids understand that you primarily learn by doing: a baby does not learn to walk by watching its parents do so. So we are not being perverse in not handing out answers. Giving kids answers will not help those kids on exams or to master a subject. The word "education" is derived from Latin words meaning "to draw out." The student already has the logical abilities to understand; it is up to the teacher to draw those abilities out into the open where the student can take advantage of them.

Edit: You need to understand that I have my own theories of education. No one has ever been crazy enough to let me educate actual kids.

Last edited:
Lillybeth

Here is another issue for you to ponder. Education is mostly about getting kids to understand by getting them to do, not by having them watch. It's why little kids are always saying "let me do that." Instinctively, kids understand that you primarily learn by doing: a baby does not learn to walk by watching its parents do so. So we are not being perverse in not handing out answers. Giving kids answers will not help those kids on exams or to master a subject. The word "education" is derived from Latin words meaning "to draw out." The student already has the logical abilities to understand; it is up to the teacher to draw those abilities out into the open where the student can take advantage of them.

Edit: You need to understand that I have my own theories of education. No one has ever been crazy enough to let me educate actual kids.

I get you completely, but let me ask you this: Yes, a baby has to try first to learn to walk, but doesn't the baby have to watch his parents first? Get my drift?

p.s. HINT: Example Problem, doesn't mean doing the problem for them. "To draw out" If the kid doesnt get the problem (If he puts it in a thread) than just give an example problem to show him/her the steps. Its just my view, no one has to take it seriously.

And, well, your educating me and I'm an actual kid...:)

Last edited:
I get you completely, but let me ask you this: Yes, a baby has to try first to learn to walk, but doesn't the baby have to watch his parents first? Get my drift?

The experiments necessary to determine this would be highly unethical and probably fatal to the baby. I suspect that if we really let a group of chimps raise a human baby and they managed to do so, that baby would learn to walk just like any other human, but it would not learn to talk. For a number of years, I was on the board of a school for deaf children, and learning to speak a language is tremendously facilitated by hearing it spoken. Nevertheless, a hearing child does not become fully capable in his or her native language for years despite hearing it spoken continuously from birth. Demonstration is not an effective means of educating even though some demonstration is necessary in education.

You must learn to parse people's statements carefully. I said "primarily" for a reason. Yes, educating requires some preliminary demonstration, but demonstrations are a very time consuming and very ineffective mode of education.

p.s. HINT: Example Problem, doesn't mean doing the problem for them. "To draw out" If the kid doesnt get the problem (If he puts it in a thread) than just give an example problem to show him/her the steps. Its just my view, no one has to take it seriously.

And, well, your educating me and I'm an actual kid...:) Yes but we skipped the whole allowing step. Again, you did not parse my statement carefully. I did not say I never did any educating. I just did it without getting approval. (Although I was invited to give the graduation speech at the school for deaf children once: I chose as my text the remark that "we all make our own histories, but never under conditions of our own making." That was possibly educational for someone; it certainly was permitted.) Anyway, enough silliness. My dog wants to walk in the woods.

You don't necissarily have to answer. Im just curious.:)
A female Australian Shepherd, two years old, very energetic, lacks sheep.

Her name is Sin, which is a joke because all of our dogs have had mathematical names like Pi (who was irrational) and Decimal (who had a white spot on her snout), and sin is an abbreviation for the sine function in mathematics, but sin is what she did when she was a small puppy. I do not know whether people are born with original sin, but this puppy was.

A female Australian Shepherd, two years old, very energetic, lacks sheep.

Her name is Sin, which is a joke because all of our dogs have had mathematical names like Pi (who was irrational) and Decimal (who had a white spot on her snout), and sin is an abbreviation for the sine function in mathematics, but sin is what she did when she was a small puppy. I do not know whether people are born with original sin, but this puppy was.
:-D She sounds cute.

It seems to me that you have difficulty staying focused! The main thing we would like to know is "What is your understanding of what "slope" of a line means?" What definition are you using? We really need that information before we can give any reasonably helpful hints. Frankly, what you have told us so far, in this and other threads, seems to imply that
1) You have no teacher
2) You have no textbook
3) You have never seen the phrase "slope of a line" before but, somehow, someone has asked you to find the slopes of several different lines!

Last edited:
I get you completely, but let me ask you this: Yes, a baby has to try first to learn to walk, but doesn't the baby have to watch his parents first?

No - baby has to stand up first - holding onto furniture.

We try to make sure that the baby has learned to do that (standing up - holding on...).

Baby has to show that s/he can stand up before walking - holding onto fingers.....

Get my drift?

And, well, your educating me and I'm an actual kid...:)

Actually, no, it is not necessary for a child to see people walking in order to start walking itself. That has been confirmed in babies whose parents were restricted to wheelchairs. The line you are referring to passes through the points (0, 0) and (1, -2/5). That is, as x goes from 0 to 1, y goes from 0 to -2/5. What does that tell you about the slope?

Last edited:
Really?

First off I never posted to get answers I posted multiple graphs to see which one would be easier to understand, and also posted the answers as a guide to whom ever that was going to assist me with the graphs. Not for this stupid drama discussion to be started, I have not had time to come back and respond to show where I was having trouble, but I no longer need anyone's help I learned how to do the slope and did great on my assignments. Also I wont be posting on this site again even if my life depended on it, just completely rude bastards on here and this thread can be deleted for all I care!!