Square Feet Scale Problem / 5 Small Squares in 1 Big Square

geekily

I have the following word problem:

An artist is drawing a scale model of the design plan for a new park. If she is using a scale of 1 inch = 12 feet, and the area of the park is 36,000 square feet, what area of the paper will the scale model cover?

I set this up as 36,000 sq ft x 1 in / 12 ft = 3000 sq in. (Though the square always confuses me, as to whether is makes a difference or not.)

Then I figured I'd turn the inches back into feet, so 3000 sq inches x 1 ft / 12 in = 250 square feet. However, that seems pretty big, right? If the question is "what area of the paper will the scale cover?" Also, my boyfriend punched something into the calculator and came up with 20 square feet or something, but no idea how he got it. I guess that would sound more reasonable, though... Please help! Thanks!

Oh, the second one: I have a 3.5 x 3.5 inch square, and five 1.5 x 1.5 inch squares. I'm supposed to cut the 5 smaller squares up and arrange them in such a way that they fit exactly into the square, thus showing that the area of the square is 5 square units. (I only know the lengths of the squares because I measured them, but that just confuses me more because if area is side times side, then the area would be 12.25 inches squared, right? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.)

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

1)
1inch=12feet
1 sq.inch=144 sq ft

then 36.000 sq ft = 36,000/144 sq.inchs
250 sq inchs answer

=======================================
2)
3.5" by 3.5"=12.25 sq.inch
1.5"x1.5"=2.25 sqinchs

how many 2.25 sq.inchs in 12.25 sq inchs?
12.25/2.25=5.44444

you can not placea integer number of 1.5 by 1.5 squares in a 3.5 by 3.5 inch square. answer

Arthur

Thank you so much! The answer to that first one makes a lot of sense now.

As for the second, I re-measured and I think I was slightly off. This time I did it in cm, and I got 9 cm for the big square and 4.1 cm for the little square. Still, the numbers don't work out, but I can't see why my teacher would make us go to all this trouble for a trick question, heh.