Square roots/radicals equations

Audentes

I did the Algebra One unit on square roots and radicals in the fall, and I was doing good. Now, I got a review for a test on everything in the year so far, and the questions are much more complicated than the ones I were given a few months ago.

I need help with these two:

[MATH](x/2)=sqrt(3x)[/MATH]
[MATH]x=sqrt(2x+3)[/MATH]
I keep feeling like the math makes me go in circles with no end or proper substitute for the variable...

You stated two equations but failed to say what you wanted to do to them.

1)You may want to multiply both sides by 11.
2) You want to add 2 to both sides.
3) You want to compute the cube of both sides.
4) You may want to solve for x.

Please finish you post by asking a question.

[MATH](x/2)=sqrt(3x)[/MATH]
[MATH]x=sqrt(2x+3)[/MATH]
I keep feeling like the math makes me go in circles with no end or proper substitute for the variable...
Please show us the circles you are in, so we can correct your compass.

As it is, I can see several things you could be doing wrong (and several things you could be doing right!).

You stated two equations but failed to say what you wanted to do to them.

1)You may want to multiply both sides by 11.
2) You want to add 2 to both sides.
3) You want to compute the cube of both sides.
4) You may want to solve for x.

Please finish you post by asking a question.
Please show us the circles you are in, so we can correct your compass.

As it is, I can see several things you could be doing wrong (and several things you could be doing right!).
For the first one, I would like to multiply both sides by 2 to get x alone.
gives me x= sqrt(3x)*2

for the second one, I would like to square each side.
that leaves me with x^2 = 2x+3
then when I divide that by x, I get x=2+(3/x).

for both of these, after the last step I show here, I can’t seem to get the answer for x

The question you should have asked was how do I solve for x.

x^2 = 2x+3 is a quadratic equation. You should not divide by x. You should use one of the few methods which you learned to solve quadratics. The first step is to get one side of the equation to be 0.

x= sqrt(3x)*2. Now square both sides. Then you'll have a quadratic equation ....

Last edited:
x= sqrt(3x)*2. Now square both sides. Then you'll have a quadratic equation ....
this gives me x^2=(3x)*4, which can become x^2=12x. Divide both sides by x and I get x=12. That is the answer?

x^2 = 2x+3 is a quadratic equation. You should not divide by x. You should use one of the few methods which you learned to solve quadratics. The first step is to get one side of the equation to be 0.
My teacher barely did quadratics so far, but I’ll try this.

UPDATE: I subtracted the x on the left side and now have 0=sqrt(2x+3)-x

this gives me x^2=(3x)*4, which can become x^2=12x. Divide both sides by x and I get x=12. That is the answer?
Quadratics could have up to 2 answers. Can you find another solution? Can you think of a number (other than 12) that when you multiply it by itself you get the same answer if you multiplied this number by 12?

Quadratics could have up to 2 answers. Can you find another solution? Can you think of a number (other than 12) that when you multiply it by itself you get the same answer if you multiplied this number by 12?
Zero? Because I think that if I subsitute zero both sides should be 0.

Zero? Because I think that if I subsitute zero both sides should be 0.
Why are you not sure? Is 0*0 = 0*12? If it is then x=0 is a solution otherwise it is not.

Now why did you not get that solution on your own? The answer is because you divided both sides bye. You should have factored out an x instead of dividing by it!

Why are you not sure? Is 0*0 = 0*12? If it is then x=0 is a solution otherwise it is not.
Yes, so then 0 is a solution.
Now why did you not get that solution on your own? The answer is because you divided both sides bye. You should have factored out an x instead of dividing by it!
Oh okay, that does make sense

My teacher barely did quadratics so far, but I’ll try this.

UPDATE: I subtracted the x on the left side and now have 0=sqrt(2x+3)-x
No, what you did before, squaring, was correct. Don't back up.

In order to solve these, especially the second, you need to have studied quadratic equations. If you didn't, then they shouldn't be assigned to you. (That is, perhaps you don't have the prerequisites for what you are learning now.)

Does it sound at all familiar that you can solve these by getting a zero on one side and factoring the other? If not, search for "solving quadratic equations by factoring".

No, what you did before, squaring, was correct. Don't back up.

In order to solve these, especially the second, you need to have studied quadratic equations. If you didn't, then they shouldn't be assigned to you. (That is, perhaps you don't have the prerequisites for what you are learning now.)

Does it sound at all familiar that you can solve these by getting a zero on one side and factoring the other? If not, search for "solving quadratic equations by factoring".
so I just asked my teacher about this and he said that he will waive these questions and exclude them. he said that while we did cover it in relevance to exponents, etc., didn’t go in depth and actual studying of quadratics is the first unit after this test.