Standard Deviation Issue

Runehakl

Hello everyone!

I'm just trying to find out the standard dev between 2 numbers for a work project. A number in a population (17.35%) and the mean of said population (14.65%). An online calc yields an STDEV of 1.35% whilst Excel (using the sample stdev formula) yields 1.90%.

I'm not sure if the online calc takes into consideration that it's a sample because when I divided by N-1 (or 1.... is this even right?) I got 1.90%.

Am I even doing this right?

Thank you all in advance for the help. Any and all is appreciated.

Are you using stdev() or stdevp() or stdeva() or stdevpa() or stdev.p() or stdev.s()? Makes a difference.

Read those definitions carefully and make sure you are selecting the right one for your needs.

They should not all give the same answer. Something fishy about that. 1.35 is assuming your 17.35 and 14.65 constitute the entire population. 1.90 assumes they are a sample from the population. Anyway, if you just pick two values, why do you think it's a random sample - something that would be required for a Standard Deviation to be meaningful?

" standard dev between 2 numbers for a work project."

I'm struggling with this. There is only one deviation "between 2 numbers". This makes the concept of a standard deviation less that interesting.

Perhaps, if you could supply the entire problem statement?