Standard Deviation Rule

Peachykeen

So, the standard deviation rule…I’m fully online and the Professor hasn’t necessarily explained this concept in a way that my easily overwhelmed brain can handle. So my first few questions relate to a checkpoint, I was given for homework( the file is attached below). I don’t simply want the answer, but I want to know the steps that lead to that solution. Any ideas where to begin?

Attachments

• FC211A90-2BA7-47AF-8694-1112C6E4341C.png
    FC211A90-2BA7-47AF-8694-1112C6E4341C.png
    55 KB · Views: 6
So, the standard deviation rule…I’m fully online and the Professor hasn’t necessarily explained this concept in a way that my easily overwhelmed brain can handle. So my first few questions relate to a checkpoint, I was given for homework( the file is attached below). I don’t simply want the answer, but I want to know the steps that lead to that solution. Any ideas where to begin?
I don’t simply want the answer
We tend not to give "simply the answer".

Have you researched Google for this topic? What reference did you use?

Is there a particular part that you cannot understand?

What does your textbook say?

Here is an example using the graph above.
Suppose the mean score on an exam is 70 and the standard deviation is 5.
If someone's score is 2 standard deviations from the mean, then their score is 70 + 2*5 = 80.
This score of 80, is in the top 2.3% (2.2 + .1 = 2.3). That is, this student did better than 97.7% of the people who took the test.
Now can you try your homework problems and post back showing your work. We are willing to help you but you must first show some work, even if you know that it is wrong.