• Welcome! The new FreeMathHelp.com forum is live. We've moved from VB4 to Xenforo 2.1 as our underlying software. Hopefully you find the upgrade to be a positive change. Please feel free to reach out as issues arise -- things will be a little different, and minor issues will no doubt crop up.

Statistical Literacy

cece

The question is;
What symbol is used for the arithmetic mean when it is a sample statistic? Also;
What symbol is used when the arithmetic mean is a population parameter?

I am a bit confused on those two questions. I have the Understanding basic statistics book and I've gone over the chapter reviews but I am just not getting it?
I know that the "Means is the average usually used to compute a test average" at least I think that's correct, but what are the symbols? I thought the first question was a "small n" and the second question was a "large N" but I am not so sure now?
Or maybe it's that weird looking ex and I put the small n under it? the same with the other one?

Can anyone help me on this?

Thank you
Cece

Subhotosh Khan

Super Moderator
Staff member
cece said:
The question is;
What symbol is used for the arithmetic mean when it is a sample statistic? Also;
What symbol is used when the arithmetic mean is a population parameter?

I am a bit confused on those two questions. I have the Understanding basic statistics book and I've gone over the chapter reviews but I am just not getting it?
I know that the "Means is the average usually used to compute a test average" at least I think that's correct, but what are the symbols? I thought the first question was a "small n" and the second question was a "large N" but I am not so sure now?
Or maybe it's that weird looking ex and I put the small n under it? the same with the other one?

Can anyone help me on this?

Thank you
Cece
Different books/class may choose different symbols to signify "means".

For one view, go to:

http://www.childrens-mercy.org/stats/de ... s/mean.htm

or:

http://stattrek.com/Lesson1/Notation.aspx

cece

Thank you, I will check out those sites and see if that helps me out.

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it!

So far I've gotten straight A's in all my class until this class. Math is not one of my strong subjects, I think it's either you get it or you don't type thing. I find it hard to retain the information that I learn with Math for some reason. I also tend to overanalyze things as well.

Thank you for your help!

Cece

cece

Got it, the first one is " x" and the other one is " The lowercase Greek letter mu, which is pronounced "mew" which looks like: m but in the Greek version.

Thanks for everyones help!!

Cece