stirling numbers formula

Alen0905

Hy there :) Id need both algebraic and combinatoric proof for this...appreciate help...tried myself but lack perspective on the issue...

thanks!

Attachments

• stirling_numbers.jpg
    stirling_numbers.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
You have told us nothing about the problem. Have you?
I have done a good work with Stirling numbers (note the capital it is a last name).
Yet I recognize nothing about what you posted.
Do you know that there two types of Stirling numbers: first kind and second kind.
One is uses is in occupancy questions the other in partition problems.
So please tell us the exact question to be solved.

Yes, prove that for any Sterling number of the second kind, where s is greater or equal to 2, that equation is true. (both algebraically and combinatorical proof).
Thanks

So now you tell us that \(\bf{s}\) is a Sterling number of the second kind.
NOW what is \(\bf{S_{s,s-2}}\)?

you know the sterling matrix of second kind? s = column ; (s-2) = row;

Attachments

• stirling-table.png
    stirling-table.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 0
Frankly it me some time to figure out that you misunderstand your own notation.
The standard notation is \(\bf{S(n,k)=S_n^{(k)}}\) denotes the number in the \(n^{th}\text{ row and the }k^{th}\text{ column }.\) Look here
The entry in the ninth row and seventh column is \(\dfrac{s(s-1)(s-2)(3s-5) }{}=462\) if \(\bf{s}=9\).
Here are other help aids: ONE, TWO THREE

Frankly it me some time to figure out that you misunderstand your own notation.
The standard notation is \(\bf{S(n,k)=S_n^{(k)}}\) denotes the number in the \(n^{th}\text{ row and the }k^{th}\text{ column }.\) Look here
The entry in the ninth row and seventh column is \(\dfrac{s(s-1)(s-2)(3s-5) }{}=462\) if \(\bf{s}=9\).
Here are other help aids: ONE, TWO THREE

i havent misinterpreted anything no worries, frankly you havent been very useful with your posts, have you???

i havent misinterpreted anything no worries, frankly you havent been very useful with your posts, have you???
Thank you for the conformation of how conformable one can be in his/hers own ignorance.

Thank you for the conformation of how conformable one can be in his/hers own ignorance.

I need a combinatorical and algebraic proof for that too but i doubt you'll be able to prove that either, will you??

I proved it combinatorically, wasnt so difficult, if you pay little attention you see the scenario is always the same, the boxes are ought not to be empty, so there are always 2 balls left for any number of balls in case there are two boxes less :) hope i can do it algebraically as well

Attachments

• IMG_20200404_114028~2.jpg
    IMG_20200404_114028~2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
Excuse me but did you read the title of the forum? Did you bother to read the guidelines of the forum? I think not. Instead you just come by and rudely state some order--like I need this and I need that. And then you attack one of the helpers by saying that they weren't very helpful?

What made you think that anyone here would solve your problem for you? We haven't done that for any other posters and we certainly are going to start with you.

Either read our guideline or go away.

Excuse me but did you read the title of the forum? Did you bother to read the guidelines of the forum? I think not. Instead you just come by and rudely state some order--like I need this and I need that. And then you attack one of the helpers by saying that they weren't very helpful?

What made you think that anyone here would solve your problem for you? We haven't done that for any other posters and we certainly are going to start with you.

Either read our guideline or go away.

Indeed, this forum should be renamed to free math prima donnas forum, a bunch of hipersensitive old ladies offering math help with anal retentive rules. My sincere apologies for attacking him at gunpoint and striping him of his life savings!!! Gosh darn it!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how many of you mathematical diva's have done any hardcore labor jobs at any point in your little politically correct lives? If you had done you would not be complaining over some petty nonsense on some third rate forum online

I wonder how many of you mathematical diva's have done any hardcore labor jobs at any point in your little politically correct lives? If you had done you would not be complaining over some petty nonsense on some third rate forum online
Alen0905, you my dear fellow have shown yourself to be a lowrated individual. No mater how you rate us does not change the facts that several here have PhD's from major research university. So your opinion hardly matters in light of the evidence that you reused to follow the guide lines for posting on this forum. Where have you been to school that you have learned the in order to criticize one must at least follow rules.

Thanks for your constructive comment. I will try to follow the rules better from now on. But at least give some consideration to what i wrote.