straight line intersecting a circle

darkyadoo

Hi,
I would like to know whether proving that a straight line passing through an interior point of a circle intersect it twice needs to consider the plane as a metric space, I mean that I have to introduce a distance?

Maybe you can use the algebra way to do this, you write out a function for the circle and then you write out a function for a line. You let two function equal and then calculate the number of the points that when the line pass through an interior point of a circle it intersects with that circle. I mean maybe the calculation is a little bit tiring but you can kip lots of thinging methods. All you need to do is calculate!

Hi,
I would like to know whether proving that a straight line passing through an interior point of a circle intersect it twice needs to consider the plane as a metric space, I mean that I have to introduce a distance?
How is interior point defined?

Maybe he means that an arbitrary point in the circle.
What does "in the circle" mean? My point, no pun intended, is that to define an interior point you need the notion of distance. One definition I found defines interior points as points whose distance to the center is less than the circle radius.

Sorry for the delay, I was at work...

I work with the axiom of Hilbert (axioms of congruence). Let [imath]\mathcal{P}[/imath] be a plane, for a given segment [imath]\overline{OA}[/imath], we define a cercle [imath]\mathcal{C}[/imath] such that :[math]\mathcal{C}=\big\{B\in \mathcal{P}:\overline{OB}\cong\overline{OA}\big\}[/math]
For the interior of the circle we have [math]\mathring{\mathcal{C}}=\big\{\overline{OX}\subset \mathcal{P} :\overline{OX}\cong\overline{OA}\big\}-\mathcal{C}[/math].

Now I will explain why I ask this question. I wanted to prove the radius-tangent theorem, but something stopped me, I check on youtube to know how they manage the problem, unfortunately they don't.

video

at 5:45 on the video, he supposes that the radius is not perpendicular to the tangent, then he says there exists a segment perpendicular to the tangent which intersects it at X, then he admits that the point B — corresponding to the intersection of the cercle and [imath]\overline{OX}[/imath] — is between O and X . This is my problem ! Because we must prove it. What I propose is to suppose X between O and B. We deduce that X is an interior point of the cercle. Then if we know that :

"a straight line passing through an interior point of a circle intersect it twice"

we have a contradiction, because the tangent of the cercle intersects the cercle only once, so B is between O and X.