strugglin on this question

Show if given functions are inverse by using f(g(x)). f(x)=3x+4 and g(x)=1/3x -4/3

To show that functions f and g are inverses of one another, you need to show that f(g(x)) = x for all x. So please show us your expression for f(g(x)) in this case, so we can see if that is where you need help.

Actually you need to show both that f(g(x))= x and g(f(x))= x. Often the one implies the other but not always.

Actually you need to show both that f(g(x))= x and g(f(x))= x. Often the one implies the other but not always.
Yes, and I almost said that; but it specifically says, "by using f(g(x))", asking only for that half; and I specifically said, "you need to show", carefully referring to the OP, not to people outside this particular assignment. I would have said the rest later in the conversation, if it reaches that point.

The job of f(x) is to triple what is between the parenthesis and then to add 4.

So if someone happens to put g(x), ie (1/3)x - (4/3), between the parenthesis then triple it and add 4. So what do you get when you triple (1/3)x - 4/3? And then after adding 4 you get? So are f and g inverses?