Stuck on mechanics ladder question

Jasonsdonervan

Hi Guys, I'm really stuck on this question attached below. I understand that I may need to take moments about A to find the distance of x? But I'm really a bit confused. It reads:
  • A non-uniform ladder AB of mass 20 kg and length 5 m rests with its end A on smooth horizontal ground and its end B against a rough vertical wall. The coefficient of friction between the ladder and the wall is 0.4. The centre of mass of the ladder, C, is x m from A. The ladder lies in a vertical plane to the wall and the ground and the angle α between the ladder and the ground is given by tan α = . The minimum horizontal force that must be applied at A to prevent the ladder from sliding down the wall is 40 N.
  • By modelling the ladder as a non-uniform rod, find x .

Thanks for any answer or walkthrough you provide,

Jason

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-06 at 22.01.20.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-06 at 22.01.20.png
    393.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hi Guys, I'm really stuck on this question attached below. I understand that I may need to take moments about A to find the distance of x? But I'm really a bit confused. It reads:
  • A non-uniform ladder AB of mass 20 kg and length 5 m rests with its end A on smooth horizontal ground and its end B against a rough vertical wall. The coefficient of friction between the ladder and the wall is 0.4. The centre of mass of the ladder, C, is x m from A. The ladder lies in a vertical plane to the wall and the ground and the angle α between the ladder and the ground is given by tan α = . The minimum horizontal force that must be applied at A to prevent the ladder from sliding down the wall is 40 N.
  • By modelling the ladder as a non-uniform rod, find x .

Thanks for any answer or walkthrough you provide,

Jason
If I were to do this problem - I would have drawn a free-body-diagram (FBD) showing dimensions and external forces. Then apply the equations of static equilibrium.

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/read-before-posting.109846/#post-486520

Please share your work/thoughts about this assignment.