Stuck with statistical significance

Flojo

This is my question. I need to write an assignment answering it. I have a few ideas but I don’t want to go off on the wrong tangent.

Hypothetically a study of 100 dog owners resulted in 82 stating that their dog preferred product X, 4 stated that their dog did not prefer product X and the remainder did not express an opinion. Examine the following statements and comment on their actual meaning, including whether or not any of these statements are statistically significant.

Tests showed that 8 out 10 dogs prefer product X.

Tests showed that 8 out of every 10 dogs preferred product X.

Tests showed that 8 out of 10 dog owners that expressed an opinion said their dogs preferred product X.

This is my question. I need to write an assignment answering it. I have a few ideas but I don’t want to go off on the wrong tangent.

Hypothetically a study of 100 dog owners resulted in 82 stating that their dog preferred product X, 4 stated that their dog did not prefer product X and the remainder did not express an opinion. Examine the following statements and comment on their actual meaning, including whether or not any of these statements are statistically significant.

Tests showed that 8 out 10 dogs prefer product X.

Tests showed that 8 out of every 10 dogs preferred product X.

Tests showed that 8 out of 10 dog owners that expressed an opinion said their dogs preferred product X.

As 14 dog owners did not express an opinion, and the overall dog-population is not known, first two statements are uncertain.

Third statement is not appropriate. 95.3488...% is not 8 out of 10. But the statement does not specify exactly 8 or at least 8.

Thank you, I wasn’t sure whether I needed to actually try and calculate the P value to answer the question.