Student probability problem

SEstudent22

Here is the problem: "A student is taking an exam. The exam has 15 questions. Every question is multiple-choice and has 4 answers, out of which only one is correct. The student passes the exam with a 10 (the highest grade) if he answers at least 90% of the questions correctly. What is the probability that the student will pass the exam with a 10 if the answers are chosen randomly?"

There are 15 questions with 4 answers each, there is only one answer. So there is a 1/4 (0.25) chance that the student will answer the question correctly.

I define the following event:
A - the student passes the exam with a 10.
We are searching for P(A).

I define a random variable:
X - number of correct answers.
The student needs to answer at least 90% of the questions correctly to pass with a 10.
90% of 15 is 13.5 ( I round it up to 14 since we can't have 13 and a half questions answered).

P(A) = P{X≥14} = P{X=14} + P{X=15}

I believe that X has a binomial distribution for n=15 and p=0.25 so this is my answer:

[math]\binom{15}{14}*0.25^{14}*0.75^1 + \binom{15}{15}*0.25^{15}*0.75^0[/math]
However, the final probability I get is really really low, so I doubt that this is the correct answer... Could somebody please review my work and tell me the flaw in my thinking?

However, the final probability I get is really really low, so I doubt that this is the correct answer... Could somebody please review my work and tell me the flaw in my thinking?
Looks good to me. I think the flaw is in expecting that it would be at all likely that you'd miss no more than one of 15 problems if you guess randomly!

Looks good to me. I think the flaw is in expecting that it would be at all likely that you'd miss no more than one of 15 problems if you guess randomly!
I guess you're right haha. It's just that I've solved so many exercises for my P&S course and I've never had an answer this low I couldn't believe it haha. Thank you Dr.Peterson!

Your thinking that if you randomly guessing at all 15 questions and get at least 90% correct will be anything but a very small number is not correct.