Substitution and Evaluation

fg9

IMG_20200615_204225.jpg

I'm understanding upto the red doodle point. How are we "combining" after that? Can someone work it out for me?

… Can someone work it out for me?
Hi fg9. There are different ways to express both X1 and X2 in terms of P1 and P2. Your subject line implies that you tried the substitution method. Can you show your attempt (up to the point where you got stuck)?

If you weren't able to start, then here's one way to carry out the substitutions. Solve the following for X2 (let's call it equation #1):

\[X_1 = \frac{m - P_2 \cdot X_2}{P_1} \quad (1)\]

Your result will take this form (let's call it equation #3):

\[X_2 = \text{expression containing X}_1 \quad (3) \]

We'll use equation #3, at the end. Next, solve the following for X2 (let's call it equation #2):

\[\frac{X_2 + 3}{X_1 + 2} = \frac{P_1}{P_2} \quad (2)\]

You've now solved both equations #1 and #2 for X2. Set those results equal to one another, and solve that equation for X1. The solution will match the final expression given for X1.

The last steps are to substitute the final expression for X1 into equation #3 and to solve that for X2. The solution will match the final expression given for X2.

Again, these steps are just one of several ways to express X1 and X2 each in terms of P1 and P2. If you tried something else, and you want to go that route, then please show us your steps. Otherwise, try the approach above, and let us know if you have any questions.

?