Summations

lexiuncc

Write the summation, do not evaluate.
There is this HUGE E
Then under it there is i-l and above it there is a 4

Then next to it is (4i-2)

I Can't find that big E anywhere on here. :evil: [/list]

1) You are posting all over the place. That can't be good. It suggests you have no clue what it is you are studying.

2) If you don't even know what an Upper Case Sigma (\(\displaystyle \L\Sigma\)) is, how can you be studying this material. It is the most basic of notation necessary for this section.

3) You have not yet shown any work of your own. This is not encouraging. No one else wants to do your homework any more than you do.

What a nice thing to do. You take time out of your life to insult someone who is trying to learn something. How very adult of you.

lexiuncc said:
You take time out of your life to insult someone who is trying to learn something.
It is to be regretted if an honest expression of concern is upsetting to you. But I'm afraid the tutor's issues are valid.

If you are posting the same questions in loads of places, this suggests panic. It is very difficult to help somebody "in panic mode", and it is always disappointing to see. We worry.

If you are unaware of very basic terms and symbols, this suggests a stunning lack in the instruction you've received. One naturally wonders what sort of "instruction" you've been given. We worry.

If you are unable to show any progress of your own, this suggests that you probably need weeks or months on intensive face-to-face re-teaching, usually an expensive and draining process. We worry.

A hostile response to somebody worried and hoping to engage in meaningful conversation suggests a "student" who just wanted the answers. You say, quite to the contrary, that you are "trying to learn". This is good, but now you need to build on this.

Please reply with the requested information:

1) Do you "have a clue" regarding the material that you're studying? If so, please show it. If not, please consider hiring a qualified local tutor, as it is simply not reasonably feasible to attempt to provide here the hours of instruction that you would appear to need.

2) Do you know the basic terminology? If so, please use it, so tutors don't think they have to back up and start way at the beginning. If not -- well, the tutor can help you with this.

3) Are you able to get started? If so, please show it, so the tutors don't simply repeat what you've already done; let them see what you've tried and where you're actually getting stuck. If not -- well, the tutor can help you with this.

Thank you for your understanding.

Eliz.

lexiuncc said:
What a nice thing to do. You take time out of your life to insult someone who is trying to learn something. How very adult of you.
Honesty = Insult?
Professional Judgment = Childish Behavior?

Those are very strange definitions. However, those definitions also are very common. Prevailing error inherently constitutes neither correctness nor truth.

What do you say we learn some mathematics?