Surface area: y=e^x 0<=x<=1, around x-axis

cheffy

Find the surface area
y=e^x 0<=x<=1 rotated around the x axis

I made r=y and I got ds=sqrt(1+e^2x)dx

Is this right? If so, I'm having trouble integrating dS...(integral from 0 to 1 of 2π(e^x*sqrt(1+e^2x)dx))

Thanks!

Yes, your set up looks good.

You could try Integration by parts.

Let \(\displaystyle \L\\u=\sqrt{1+e^{2x}}, \;\ dv=e^{x}dx, \;\ du=\frac{e^{2x}}{\sqrt{1+e^{2x}}}, \;\ v=e^{x}dx\)

Personally, I'd use tech to do it. But this ought to give you good integration practice.

I tried integration by parts, but it doesn't look like I'm going to get down to somewhere that is integrable. Doesn't the e^2x/sqrt(1+e^2x) just get messier and messier? Thanks!

Yes, it is rather messy, but not 'undoable'.

Using parts you get:

\(\displaystyle \L\\e^{x}\sqrt{1+e^{2x}}-\int{e^{x}\cdot\frac{e^{2x}}{\sqrt{1+e^{2x}}}\)

For the integral part, you can use substitution. u-subbing is mostly used.
For this you could let \(\displaystyle \L\\u=\sqrt{1+e^{2x}}, \;\ du=\frac{e^{2x}}{\sqrt{1+e^{2x}}}dx, \;\ \sqrt{u^{2}-1}=e^{x}\)

This gives:

\(\displaystyle \L\\\int\sqrt{u^{2}-1}du\)

For this, you could use trig sub, \(\displaystyle u=sec({\theta}), \;\ du=sec({\theta})tan({\theta})d{\theta}\)

Or some other substitution. Try working through this. It's good practice and maybe you'll get a sense of accomplishment when you're done. :D

Hello, cheffy!

Find the surface area: \(\displaystyle \,y\,=\,e^x,\;0\,\leq\,x\,\leq\,1\), about the x axis.

I made \(\displaystyle r\,=\,y\) and I got \(\displaystyle ds\:=\:\sqrt{1\,+\,e^{2x}}\,dx\)

Is this right? . Yes!
If so, I'm having trouble integrating: \(\displaystyle \L\:2\pi\int^{\;\;1}_0 e^x\sqrt{1\,+\,e^{2x}}\,dx\)

Let: \(\displaystyle \L\,u\,=\,e^x\;\;\Rightarrow\;\;x\,=\,\ln u\;\;\Rightarrow\;\;dx\,=\,\frac{du}{u}\)

Substitute: \(\displaystyle \L\:2\pi\int u\sqrt{1\,+\,u^2}\,\frac{du}{u}\;=\;2\pi\int\sqrt{1\,+\,u^2}\,du\)

Let: \(\displaystyle \L\,u\,=\,\tan\theta\;\;\Rightarrow\;\;du\,=\,\sec^2\theta\,d\theta\)

Substitute: \(\displaystyle \L\:2\pi\int\sec\theta(\sec^2\theta\,d\theta) \;=\;2\pi\int\sec^3\theta\,d\theta\)

This will require Integration By Parts, unless you already know the formula:
. . . . \(\displaystyle \L\frac{1}{2}\left[\sec\theta\tan\theta \,+\,\ln\left|\sec\theta\,+\,\tan\theta\right|\right]\)

Then back-substitute and evaluate . . .

See?. There ya go. More than one way to skin an integral.