Synthetic division

rachelmaddie

Is this correct?
BB36C8C7-DB14-4CBE-B8A0-162C947F51CA.png
If x + 1 is the divisor in long division, then -1 is the divisor in synthetic division.

-1 / 2 1 0 1
-2 1 -1
———————————
2 -1 1 0

Solution: The quotient is 2x^2 - x + 1

Your answer to the problem was correct. I think SK in #2 was asking you to do a check, but copied a sign wrong. You did the multiplication correctly, but the result is not what it should have been because of the sign error.

So you're doing fine. But to carry out the check, let's multiply (x + 1)(2x^2 - x + 1) and confirm that it equals your dividend.

Your answer to the problem was correct. I think SK in #2 was asking you to do a check, but copied a sign wrong. You did the multiplication correctly, but the result is not what it should have been because of the sign error.

So you're doing fine. But to carry out the check, let's multiply (x + 1)(2x^2 - x + 1) and confirm that it equals your dividend.
Correct - I was trying to get her to realize that she can check her own work for these problems. Sorry about the sign error. Going to the corner for 1 hour (dinnertime anyway).

Correct - I was trying to get her to realize that she can check her own work for these problems. Sorry about the sign error. Going to the corner for 1 hour (dinnertime anyway).
You usually eat your dinner in the corner or you usually not like your dinner?