Systems of Equations real life scenario: m+s=12, 6m+4s=?

falcios

Each month for a year, purchase amounts will vary. It can be either $4 or $6

How can I set up a systems of equations to figure out the 2nd equation's minimum dollar value?

m+s=12

6m+4s=?

Thanks in advance.

Each month for a year, purchase amounts will vary. It can be either $4 or $6

How can I set up a systems of equations to figure out the 2nd equation's minimum dollar value?

m+s=12

6m+4s=?

Thanks in advance.

Why minimum? You don't have the actual value?

Manually I figured the value could be $60. I want to know how I could use algebra to figure it out though.

Do you have a real life scenario or not? Do you have the total amount and want to find m and s? Let's say you paid for a service monthly, either $4 or $6 and the total was $60. Now you want to figure out how many times you paid $4 and how many times $6.
In this case we get this system:
m+s=12
6m+4s=60

If you do NOT have the total value, then I am not sure what you trying to do.

Sorry for the confusion. It is a real life scenario. I figured out manually the $60 amount.

I wanted to know if it was possible to arrive at the $60 amount if I didn't know the number beforehand.

Do you suggest another method to get the $60 answer?

Sorry for the confusion. It is a real life scenario. I figured out manually the $60 amount.

I wanted to know if it was possible to arrive at the $60 amount if I didn't know the number beforehand.

Do you suggest another method to get the $60 answer?

Could you share the scenario? I still don't understand what you trying to do. Is it close to my example above? Where does $60 come from?

If you don't know the total it's not possible to calculate it - there are multiple solutions. E.g. you paid $4 12 times, the total is $48. You paid $6 12 times, the total is $72. And all the combinations in between. If you want the least possible value for the total it would be $48.