t & w q10

Saumyojit

It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to complete a work. 3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women. How many times does the output of a man exceed that of a woman?
A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

(Work of 3 women per day + Work of 2 men per day ) * 6 days =1 Whole work

(Work of 3 men per day * Days ) = Work of 9 women * ( no of days + 5)

It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to complete a work. 3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women. How many times does the output of a man exceed that of a woman?
A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

Your equations are not very clear. What are your variables? And what exactly is your question?

Work of 3 women per day = (Work of 1 woman per day ) * 3

Work of 2 men per day = (Work of 1 man per day ) * 2

(Work of 3 men per day * Days ) = Work of 9 women * ( Days + 5)

How to solve it further

Last edited:
Work of 3 women per day = (Work of women per day ) * 3

Work of 2 men per day = (Work of men per day ) * 2

How to solve it further
Please define your variables and write out your equations using standard notation.

I have defined in my last reply
Here's what I'm looking for.
Jim and Tim went trick-or-treating. They got 10 chocolate bars in total. Jim got 2 more than Tim. How many bars did each get?
Solution:
Define variables:
J - the number of bars Jim got.
T - the number of bars Jim got.

Equations:
J + T = 10
J = T + 2

Take a look at the equations. Do you see words? No. You only see the 2 variables, numbers and math symbols.
Can you apply this example to your problem?

A. 3 times
B. 4 times
C. 5 times
D. 6 times
E. 7 times

Samojit, this is what they mean:
Let "w" be the amount of work does in one day and let "m" be the amount of work a man does in one day.

"It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to complete a work." 3(6)w+ 2(6)m= 18w+ 12m= 1 work.

"3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women."
It would take a woman 1/w days to complete the work so it would take 9 women 1/(9w) days to complete the job. It would take a man 1/m days to complete the job so it would take 3 men 1/(3m) days,
1/(3m)= 1/(9w)- 5.

You now have the two equations
18w+ 12m= 1 and
1/(3m)= 1/(9w)- 5

to solve for m and w.

Samojit, this is what they mean:
Let "w" be the amount of work does in one day and let "m" be the amount of work a man does in one day.

"It takes 6 days for 3 women and 2 men working together to complete a work." 3(6)w+ 2(6)m= 18w+ 12m= 1 work.

"3 men would do the same work 5 days sooner than 9 women."
It would take a woman 1/w days to complete the work so it would take 9 women 1/(9w) days to complete the job. It would take a man 1/m days to complete the job so it would take 3 men 1/(3m) days,
1/(3m)= 1/(9w)- 5.

You now have the two equations
18w+ 12m= 1 and
1/(3m)= 1/(9w)- 5

to solve for m and w.
18 w + 12 m =1 ---(i)

1/(3m)= 1/(9w)- 5
3w - m = -45 mw ---(ii)

18 w + 12 m =1 ---(i)

1/(3m)= 1/(9w)- 5
3w - m = -45 mw ---(ii)
From (i)

m = (1 - 18 * w)/12

from (ii)

m = 3 * w/(1 - 45*w)....................................................edited

So we get

(1 - 18 * w) * (1 - 45*w) = 36 * w....................................................edited

This is a quadratic equation in 'w' - solve for 'w'. Then solve for 'm'.

Last edited by a moderator:
from (ii)

m = 3 * w/(1 - 48*w)

Time to increase the font size, otherwise those pesky 5 and 8 characters can look very similar ?:p;)

m = 3*w/(1-45*w)

(1 - 18 * w) * (1 - 45*w) = 36 * w

--

BTW: What a sexist question ? Did it come from an early 1900s past paper? If it was recently written then a resignation is in order!

Last edited:
SK,
I have been trying for years now to teach you math. I meet with you outside of this forum on a regular basis and to be honest I have given up on you. You should just stick to engineering.