Tangent?

JulianMathHelp

In problem (a), and (b), am I allowed to assume the line is tangent?

Yes. They really should tell you to assume that the lines in (a) and (b) are tangent to the circle, just as they say to assume C is the center, but their intention is clear enough.

Yes. They really should tell you to assume that the lines in (a) and (b) are tangent to the circle, just as they say to assume C is the center, but their intention is clear enough.
I would think that because if they weren't tangent, it would be impossible to solve I think. Also it is drawn the same as if it were tangent.

I would think that because if they weren't tangent, it would be impossible to solve I think.

That's another way to look at it, which is often my deciding factor! If we don't assume it, then we can only say there is not enough information.

I suppose if you said that to a teacher often enough, they might start being more careful ... or they might just get irritated!

On the other hand, it's good to be clear that in the real world, you can't make such an assumption. All you could do is to say that they appear nearly tangent, and call your answer an approximation.

That's another way to look at it, which is often my deciding factor! If we don't assume it, then we can only say there is not enough information.

I suppose if you said that to a teacher often enough, they might start being more careful ... or they might just get irritated!

On the other hand, it's good to be clear that in the real world, you can't make such an assumption. All you could do is to say that they appear nearly tangent, and call your answer an approximation.
I'll go with assuming it because I'm pretty sure it wants me to find the answer (and not say not enough information).