Tank A contains 100 gal of solution in which is dissolved 20 lb of salt...

mpturk

Consider two tanks, labeled tank A and tank B for reference. Tank A contains 100 gal of solution in which is dissolved 20 lb of salt. Tank B contains 200 gal of solution in which is dissolved 40 lb of salt. Pure water flows into tank A at a rate of 5 gal/s. There is a drain at the bottom of tank A. The solution leaves tank A via this drain at a rate of 5 gal/s and flows immediately into tank B at the same rate. A drain at the bottom of tank B allows the solution to leave tank B at a rate of 2.5 gal/s.What is the salt content in tank B at the precise moment that tank B contains 250 gal of solution?You should show all your work and obtain an analytic solution to the IVP without the use of Maple,but feel free to check your answer using Maple.

I also need help with this problem. I started by creating equations to describe the rate of flow of salt for both tanks. I found:
A'(t) = 5 gal/s * 20 lb/100 gal *A(t) ==>> A'(t) = -A(t). ==>> A(t) = 20exp(-t)
B'(t) = A'(t) - rate out ==>> B'(t) = A'(t) - 1/2 (B(t))

From here, I used the Variation of Parameters method to solve for B(t). I Came up with:
Bh = Aexp(-t/2)
v = (40/A) * exp(-t/2)
B(t) = V* Bh = 40exp(-t)

This answer is obviously not correct because it implies that the amount of salt in tank B gets exponentially smaller with time, when we know by inspection that it should decrease slowly.

Can anyone tell what I did wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
I also need help with this problem. I started by creating equations to describe the rate of flow of salt for both tanks. I found:
A'(t) = 5 gal/s * 20 lb/100 gal *A(t) ==>> A'(t) = -A(t). ==>> A(t) = 20exp(-t)
This is wrong. Since the salt is uniformly mixed into the water in A, as the water drains out, the amount of salt in A declines but not the density in lbs per gallon. there is 20/100= 1/5 lb of salt in every gallon of water so every second 5(1/5)= 1 lb of salt flows out, irrespective of how much salt is left in A. The differential equation, with A(t) the amount of salt, in pounds, left in A after t seconds, is A'(t)= -1, not A'(t)= -A, with initial condition A(0)= 20.

B'(t) = A'(t) - rate out ==>> B'(t) = A'(t) - 1/2 (B(t))
If this is, indeed, the same problem as in the first post, the amount of water coming in to B every second is 5 gallons while the amount of water flowing out of B is 2.5 gallons. Assuming that B was originally empty, the amount of water in B after t seconds is 2.5t gallons. Taking B(t) to be the amount of salt, in B after t seconds, the density of salt, in pounds per gallon, in B is B(t)/(2.5t) and the amount of salt flowing out each second it (2.5)B(t)/(2.5t)= B(t)/t lb. Since the amount of salt flowing out of A every second is -1 lb,, the amount of salt flowing into B every second is +1 lb. The differential equation for B(t) is B'(t)= 1- B(t)/t.

From here, I used the Variation of Parameters method to solve for B(t). I Came up with:
Bh = Aexp(-t/2)
v = (40/A) * exp(-t/2)
B(t) = V* Bh = 40exp(-t)

This answer is obviously not correct because it implies that the amount of salt in tank B gets exponentially smaller with time, when we know by inspection that it should decrease slowly.

Can anyone tell what I did wrong?