'That's Entertainment' word prob: An entertainer has a deck

juicy123

another person is doing the same problem, but i actually took the time to type it out!

That’s Entertainment!

An entertainer has an oridinary deck of playing cards. He gives them to his subject, turns his back, and has her shuffle the deck throughly.

Keeping his back to her so he cant see what shes doing, he then tells her to make some piles according to these instructions.

1.First she turns over the top card of the deck. If this is a picture card (jack, queen, or king), she puts it back somewhere in the middle of the deck. She keeps going until she gets a card that is not a picture card. That is, she continues until she gets an ace,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, or 10, and places that card face up on the table.

2. Beginning with the number on the card, she starts counting to herself until she gets to 12. (aces are treated as 1) with each count, she takes one card from the top of the deck and places it face up on top of the pile she is creating. When she reaches 12, she turns the pile over so that the card she started with is face down on top.

For example, if she initially turns up an 8, she places a card on top of the 8 and silently counts “10”, then another card on top and sounts “11”, and finally, another card on top and counts “12”. At that point, she turns over the pile, with the 8 face down on top. In this example, the pile would have five cards altogether.

3. Once the pile is complete, she repeats instructions 1 and 2, working with the remaining cards. She keeps creating new piles until she runs out of cards.

If she runs out of cards while trying to complete a pile, she picks up all the cards in that incomplete pile.

The woman follows the instructions. When she is done, the entertainer turns around and asks her to give him the cards from her final, imcomplete pile.

He sees that she has given him 5 cards, but he DOES NOT look to see which cards they are. He ALSO sees that she has made 6 complete piles.
He then tell her to take the top card from each pile and add the numerical values of these cards together, without showing him the cards or telling him the sum.

She does this, and he then tells her the sum she got.

and then my teacher told me that the easiest way to find the answer is to use a formula. this is the part im stuck on, cause im bad with formulas :(

Well...just cause I enjoy this sort of stuff...

Scenario; top card - following up to 12 - cards used - cards left in deck:

a = 3 : 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 : 10, 42 (top card was a 3, counted up to 12; so 10 used, 42 left)
b = 2 : 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 : 11, 31
c = 7 : 8,9,10,11,12 : 6, 25
d = 4 : 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 : 9, 16
e = 1 : 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 : 12, 4
f = 6 : 7,8,9 ...runs out of cards

So we have 5 piles (a to e) and 4 cards left;
since you tell Mandrake you have 4 left, he knows 48 are in the 5 piles:

13 - a + 13 - b + 13 - c + 13 - d + 13 - e = 48
a+b+c+d+e = 17 : OK?

If that's not enough, too bad so sad 8-)

Denis said:
13 - a + 13 - b + 13 - c + 13 - d + 13 - e = 48
a+b+c+d+e = 17 : OK?

i def. got what you did. but how did you get 13? is that just the "magic" number that you use for this problem?

juicy123 said:
i def. got what you did. but how did you get 13? is that just the "magic" number that you use for this problem?
c'mon juicy...
a = 3 : 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 : 10, 42

12 - 3 = 9 ; but 10 is the number of cards used;
13 - 3 = 10 : capish?

but in the actual problem, you dont know what numbers her cards are.. so i dunno

juicy123 said:
but in the actual problem, you dont know what numbers her cards are.. so i dunno
True; that why a,b,c,d,e represent her cards in my example: one unknown per pile...
if there was 7 piles, there'd be 7 unknowns...

I was hoping you'd see by now that it's really quite simple;
sum of top cards = 13 * piles - (52 - cards left)

In my example:
sum of top cards = 13 * 5 - (52 - 4) = 65 - 48 = 17

Make up your own example and try it...
If you can't understand my formula, then I'm sure not typing a long
dissertation to teach it...I've already typed more than I intended :evil: