The 1% Club, Saturday 29th April 2023.

The Highlander

I posted a ‘Poll’ with the aim of getting some feedback on whether it was worth my while spending the time & energy required to post these quiz show ‘puzzles’ every week, however, this was my first attempt to use the forum’s poll facility and I couldn’t get it the way I wanted it to retrieve the information I wanted in the format I wished it. I’m afraid the poll facility simply isn’t flexible enough to do what I wanted though I’m sure it’s perfectly adequate for most purposes in a forum like this.

I also set a ‘closure’ date for responses that I later decided was too soon to (perhaps) allow a sufficient number of (interested) members time to see it and respond and I discovered that this was something I couldn’t ‘Edit’ once the poll was posted.

If anyone wishes to place any ‘votes’ then the poll may be found at the top of
this thread (assuming it hasn’t already closed by the time you read this)

There has been a fairly limited response so far but already there appears to be a mixture of views emerging. In light of that (and some of my own suspicions) I have decided to alter my ‘format’ yet again.

The principal criterion for inclusion of a question (ie: a screengrab of how it appeared in the show) remains whether or not I was able to get the correct answer (or failed to get any answer) within the 35s time limit, though I may include some that don’t meet this criterion if I think them worthy.

The Show’s rules are:-
Participants are allowed only 30 seconds to come up with an answer, however, since the presenter reveals and then reads out the question before the timer starts, it is reasonable to allow yourself 35 seconds after you click on the ‘Reveal’ button.

My (previous) ‘rule’ no longer applies. I am now going to post both the Questions and the Answers at the same time. People can choose whether or not to attempt them against the clock and then post whatever they like in the thread.

Despite wholly negative feedback received on the idea of a proforma for recording your own “performance”, I still think it’s a good idea so I will continue to provide it (if & when I can be bothered).

If anyone wants to have a look at previous shows’ questions, just click on the “Search” button (alongside your name up above), tick the “Search titles only” box and enter: “1% Club” as your search string.

So this week’s questions were:-

The 90% Question:-

If Keith likes his: teeth (an emoji)     And Greg likes his: leg (an emoji)
What part of the body does Ned like best?

A. Head    B. Elbow

I got this in under 5 seconds; just too easy!

The 80% Question:-

What are the only three letters that appear in
the names of every day of the week?

You really don’t need me to tell you the answer to that, do you?

The 70% Question:-
An “Odd one out” question.
Took only 15 seconds to spot that the Duchess of Cambridge’s earring had moved to her husband’s ear in the 3rd pic!

The 60% Question:-

Richard is older than Clare. Jojo is older than Hennie.
Hennie is older than Richard. Who is the oldest?

Took under 10 seconds to figure that out!

The 50% Question:-

Which city has hosted the
Summer Olympics the most times?

A. London   B. USA   C. China   D, Europe

Under 10 seconds again (basically just the time to read it)!

The 45% Question:-

Which of these Rubik’s Cubes might it be
possible to solve?

Three pics of cubes were shown but you could see instantly which two were impossible!

The 40% Question:-

By the time I had determined the correct strategy for this one and arrived at the right answer, over fifty seconds had elapsed! I’m sure that if you can read music (I can’t; I just play by ear) then you should be able to get the answer much more quickly.

40.png
40-A.png
The 35% Question:-
What five-letter food appears
in the following sentence?

After Jacob read Paul Hollywood’s book,
he was inspired to take up baking.

Took me all of 11 seconds; too easy to include!

The 30% Question:-
This one just beat me! ? Took me 37 seconds to read it (twice) and then count ‘em all up! (As I believe I said last week at this exact same stage: I’m a slow counter!)

30.png
30-A.png
The 25% Question:-
A dress is normally £100 but is now on sale with 20% off.
By what percentage would you have to increase
the sale price to return it to its original price?

Took me all of seven seconds! I’m sure (almost) any regular here can get that in under 10 seconds too!

The 20% Question:-

Rearrange all the letters below into different
words to form a sum that gives
the same answer as this one:

Twelve + one
Took me 22 seconds.

The 15% Question:-
I came up with an answer to this in 29 seconds but it turned out to be not the one they were looking for! (I thought my answer was perfectly acceptable!
?)
Maybe you can do better?

15.png
15-A.png
The 10% Question:-
What three letters should come next?

SMT, WTF, SSM, TWT, FSS, ???

I got this in seven seconds so I expect most folks here will get it in fewer than 10 seconds too!

The 5% Question:-
I got this right but it took me 36 seconds!
Grrrrrrrr! ?

5.png
5-A.png
The 1% Question:-
Only one ‘contestant’ survived to this stage. A young man (23 yrs) who had the option, therefore, of taking the (full) £10,000 prize available to those who reach that stage. However, after some time agonizing over whether to risk the £10,000 to attempt the 1% question for the prize pot of £99,000 he made the recklessly stupid decision (IMHO) to give up the £10k and go for the big prize!

I got the right answer to this but it took me 2 minutes and 25 seconds!

1.png
I was going to write more about the outcome of the young man’s incredible decision to attempt the 1% question instead of grabbing the ten grand with both hands but, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so please take the time to watch this little
5 minute video
If anyone is stuck on any of the questions I haven’t provided the answers for (ie: those I haven’t included as screengrabs), just say and I’m sure someone will be more than happy to tell you the correct answer.

Cheers,
B.

https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/the-1-club-who-cares.136628/post-581818

Last edited:
Proforma [Press ‘Enter/Return’ after each “Question:- “ and type your comment(s)]

Last edited:
I posted a ‘Poll’ with the aim of getting some feedback on whether it was worth my while spending the time & energy required to post these quiz show ‘puzzles’ every week, however, this was my first attempt to use the forum’s poll facility and I couldn’t get it the way I wanted it to retrieve the information I wanted in the format I wished it. I’m afraid the poll facility simply isn’t flexible enough to do what I wanted though I’m sure it’s perfectly adequate for most purposes in a forum like this.

I also set a ‘closure’ date for responses that I later decided was too soon to (perhaps) allow a sufficient number of (interested) members time to see it and respond and I discovered that this was something I couldn’t ‘Edit’ once the poll was posted.

If anyone wishes to place any ‘votes’ then the poll may be found at the top of
this thread (assuming it hasn’t already closed by the time you read this)

There has been a fairly limited response so far but already there appears to be a mixture of views emerging. In light of that (and some of my own suspicions) I have decided to alter my ‘format’ yet again.

The principal criterion for inclusion of a question (ie: a screengrab of how it appeared in the show) remains whether or not I was able to get the correct answer (or failed to get any answer) within the 35s time limit, though I may include some that don’t meet this criterion if I think them worthy.

The Show’s rules are:-
Participants are allowed only 30 seconds to come up with an answer, however, since the presenter reveals and then reads out the question before the timer starts, it is reasonable to allow yourself 35 seconds after you click on the ‘Reveal’ button.

My (previous) ‘rule’ no longer applies. I am now going to post both the Questions and the Answers at the same time. People can choose whether or not to attempt them against the clock and then post whatever they like in the thread.

Despite wholly negative feedback received on the idea of a proforma for recording your own “performance”, I still think it’s a good idea so I will continue to provide it (if & when I can be bothered).

If anyone wants to have a look at previous shows’ questions, just click on the “Search” button (alongside your name up above), tick the “Search titles only” box and enter: “1% Club” as your search string.

So this week’s questions were:-

The 90% Question:-

If Keith likes his: teeth (an emoji)     And Greg likes his: leg (an emoji)
What part of the body does Ned like best?

A. Head    B. Elbow

I got this in under 5 seconds; just too easy!

The 80% Question:-

What are the only three letters that appear in
the names of every day of the week?

You really don’t need me to tell you the answer to that, do you?

The 70% Question:-
An “Odd one out” question.
Took only 15 seconds to spot that the Duchess of Cambridge’s earring had moved to her husband’s ear in the 3rd pic!

The 60% Question:-

Richard is older than Clare. Jojo is older than Hennie.
Hennie is older than Richard. Who is the oldest?

Took under 10 seconds to figure that out!

The 50% Question:-

Which city has hosted the
Summer Olympics the most times?

A. London   B. USA   C. China   D, Europe

Under 10 seconds again (basically just the time to read it)!

The 45% Question:-

Which of these Rubik’s Cubes might it be
possible to solve?

Three pics of cubes were shown but you could see instantly which two were impossible!

By the time I had determined the correct strategy for this one and arrived at the right answer, over fifty seconds had elapsed! I’m sure that if you can read music (I can’t; I just play by ear) then you should be able to get the answer much more quickly.

40.png
40-A.png
The 35% Question:-
What five-letter food appears
in the following sentence?

After Jacob read Paul Hollywood’s book,
he was inspired to take up baking.

Took me all of 11 seconds; too easy to include!

This one just beat me! ? Took me 37 seconds to read it (twice) and then count ‘em all up! (As I believe I said last week at this exact same stage: I’m a slow counter!)

30.png
30-A.png
The 25% Question:-
A dress is normally £100 but is now on sale with 20% off.
By what percentage would you have to increase
the sale price to return it to its original price?

Took me all of seven seconds! I’m sure (almost) any regular here can get that in under 10 seconds too!

The 20% Question:-

Rearrange all the letters below into different
words to form a sum that gives
the same answer as this one:

Twelve + one
Took me 22 seconds.

I came up with an answer to this in 29 seconds but it turned out to be not the one they were looking for! (I thought my answer was perfectly acceptable!
?)
Maybe you can do better?

15.png
15-A.png
The 10% Question:-
What three letters should come next?

SMT, WTF, SSM, TWT, FSS, ???

I got this in seven seconds so I expect most folks here will get it in fewer than 10 seconds too!

I got this right but it took me 36 seconds!
Grrrrrrrr! ?

5.png
5-A.png
Only one ‘contestant’ survived to this stage. A young man (23 yrs) who had the option, therefore, of taking the (full) £10,000 prize available to those who reach that stage. However, after some time agonizing over whether to risk the £10,000 to attempt the 1% question for the prize pot of £99,000 he made the recklessly stupid decision (IMHO) to give up the £10k and go for the big prize!

I got the right answer to this but it took me 2 minutes and 25 seconds!

1.png
I was going to write more about the outcome of the young man’s incredible decision to attempt the 1% question instead of grabbing the ten grand with both hands but, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so please take the time to watch this little
5 minute video
If anyone is stuck on any of the questions I haven’t provided the answers for (ie: those I haven’t included as screengrabs), just say and I’m sure someone will be more than happy to tell you the correct answer.

Cheers,
B.

https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/the-1-club-who-cares.136628/post-581818
January and February has 3½ vowels...... ??? (I forgot to put these first-time around)

Last edited:
I see 18 letters there - false question !!!!
Read it again. It's asking for the only three letters that appear in every weekday's name.
Can you think of one letter that appears in every weekday's name?
Can you think of another?
How about a third?
(And by weekday I mean all the days of the week, not just MonDAY to FriDAY!)

January and February has 3½ vowels......
Did you mean: "January and February have 3½ vowels...."?
In English, there are only five vowels and 'y' is not one of them.
Nor is there any such thing as a "half vowel"
Perhaps English is not your native tongue?
Any more "complaints" about the puzzles, please take them up with the production company; I can provide their contact details if required. :thumbup:

You - please read it again. in the statement , there are 18 letters I however forgot to add those ROLFMAO emojis.

the names of every day of the week

Did you mean: "January and February have 3½ vowels...."?
In English, there are only five vowels and 'y' is not one of them.
Nor is there any such thing as a "half vowel"
Perhaps English is not your native tongue?
Any more "complaints" about the puzzles, please take them up with the production company; I can provide their contact details if required. :thumbup:
Sheesh .... I did not think I had to give English lesson to a Welshman - or may be Scottman or Irish (Highlander).

a speech sound that is produced like a vowel but that functions as a consonant: The words "yes" and "well" start with semivowels. Semivowels are glides like /w/ and /y/ that act as part of a diphthong. Either the first or the second vowel will be treated as a semivowel.

SEMIVOWEL | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

1682889395290.jpeg
Cambridge University Press & Assessment
https://dictionary.cambridge.org › dictionary › semivo...

I am not complaining - I am just "Rolling on the floor....".???

Last edited:
You - please read it again. in the statement , there are 18 letters I however forgot to add those ROLFMAO emojis.

the names of every day of the week
It's ROFLMAO not "ROLFMAO"
and...

Sheesh .... I did not think I had to give English lesson to a Welshman - or may be Scottman or Irish (Highlander).

a speech sound that is produced like a vowel but that functions as a consonant: The words "yes" and "well" start with semivowels. Semivowels are glides like /w/ and /y/ that act as part of a diphthong. Either the first or the second vowel will be treated as a semivowel.

SEMIVOWEL | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

View attachment 35687
Cambridge University Press & Assessment
https://dictionary.cambridge.org › dictionary › semivo...

I am not complaining - I am just "Rolling on the floor....".???
I am (& others, perhaps, too) tiring of your silly comments.
Please resist the temptation to make them on future posts about this show.
(They take too long to compose without having to field inane remarks too!)
Just enjoy them (or ignore them completely).
Thank you.

It's ROFLMAO not "ROLFMAO"
and...

I am (& others, perhaps, too) tiring of your silly comments.
Please resist the temptation to make them on future posts about this show.
(They take too long to compose without having to field inane remarks too!)
Just enjoy them (or ignore them completely).
Thank you.
I am sorry that I offended you by pointing out existence of "semi vowels". It will not happen again. But I am still rolling on the floor...
Without a doubt, your posts are the most challenging in this forum and I look forward to digesting those.