The 1% Club

In the show, at what point does the timer start? For example, is the question displayed while a narrator reads it, with the timer starting at the end of the reading?

[imath]\;[/imath]

In the show, at what point does the timer start? For example, is the question displayed while a narrator reads it, with the timer starting at the end of the reading?

[imath]\;[/imath]
Yes, that's what happens. You trying to wangle a few extra seconds? ?
No chance! ?
You don't have to start timing yourself until you have finished reading the question so...
no "extra" time allowed! ?

Not trying to gain time; just wanted confirmation. I'd read each question, looked away to tap the timer button, verified the timer was running (my taps don't always register) and then returned to re-read the question if needed.

Sample: Ran out of time (had incorrectly assumed what I needed to look for)

90% - Got it in 11 sec (recognized 2-syllable names)

80% - I think the question is misstated. Their answer pertains to a depiction of something other than the landmark itself.

70% - Got it in 6 sec (recognized mirror images right away)

60% - Another flawed question. What exactly is meant by "tell them apart"? Seems like multiple responses are possible.

50% Got it in 27 sec (had to re-read twice, slowly)

45% - Skipped (cannot understand the description)

40% - Skipped (image was missing; placeholder only)

35% - Skipped (jumbled line breaks confusing)

30% - Ran out of time (counted on my fingers while visualizing each sheet turn)

25% - Ran out of time (I understood the 7, but failed to make the obvious conection to 70)

15% - Ran out of time (wasn't thinking in terms of cryptic clue wordplays)

10% - Answered in 13 sec (will confirm when you post answer on Monday)

5% - Answered in 4 sec (almost had it before finishing the question; will confirm on Monday)

1% - Ran out of time (becoming confident that I understood the necessaries took more than 30 seconds)

If I were ever on that show, I'm pretty sure my brain would shut down. o_O

[imath]\;[/imath]

- .... .- - / -.-. .- -. .----. - / -... . / -.-. --- .-. .-. . -.-. - / -... . -.-. .- ..- ... . / ...-- . --... / .. ... / .- / .... ..- --. . / .... . -..- .- -.. . -.-. .. -- .- .-.. / -. ..- -- -... . .-. / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .- .. - / -.-- . .- .-. ... / ..-. --- .-. / .- / -.-. .... .- -. -.-. . / - --- / ..- ... . / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / .- -. -.. / - .... . -. / .- .-.. --- -. --. / -.-. --- -- . / - .-- --- / --- .--. .--. --- .-. - ..- -. .. - .. . ... / .-- .. - .... .. -. / .- / ... .. -. --. .-.. . / .-- . . -.-

https://morsecode.world/international/translator.html :LOL:

I failed on the following and got the rest correct within the time limit. Next week I'll swap and note down the ones I get correct because it will require less typing:-

70%, 60%, 45% (I would have got it with the pictures :LOL: ). 35%, 30%, 15%, 1% (I really don't understand the Monday answer?)

- .... .- - / -.-. .- -. .----. - / -... . / -.-. --- .-. .-. . -.-. - / -... . -.-. .- ..- ... . / ...-- . --... / .. ... / .- / .... ..- --. . / .... . -..- .- -.. . -.-. .. -- .- .-.. / -. ..- -- -... . .-. / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .- .. - / -.-- . .- .-. ... / ..-. --- .-. / .- / -.-. .... .- -. -.-. . / - --- / ..- ... . / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / .- -. -.. / - .... . -. / .- .-.. --- -. --. / -.-. --- -- . / - .-- --- / --- .--. .--. --- .-. - ..- -. .. - .. . ... / .-- .. - .... .. -. / .- / ... .. -. --. .-.. . / .-- . . -.-

https://morsecode.world/international/translator.html :LOL:
Like it! ???
I failed on the following and got the rest correct within the time limit. Next week I'll swap and note down the ones I get correct because it will require less typing:-

70%, 60%, 45% (I would have got it with the pictures :LOL: ). 35%, 30%, 15%, 1% (I really don't understand the Monday answer?)
Well Done!
"Monday" is when I will post the answer(s), Doh! lmao. (or are you just bein' funny again? ?)
You'll get your chance to attempt the ones with the pictures once the imgBB site is working again! I'm trying to upload screengrabs but the Upload function on the site is doing 'nothing' at the moment. Grrrrrrrr! ?
I suspect that's why Otis couldn't see the Candles picture but I'll keep trying then there will be no more 'excuses' for you, lmao.

Not trying to gain time; just wanted confirmation. I'd read each question, looked away to tap the timer button, verified the timer was running (my taps don't always register) and then returned to re-read the question if needed. See main post

Sample: Ran out of time (had incorrectly assumed what I needed to look for) Common problem.

90% - Got it in 11 sec (recognized 2-syllable names) Well Done.

80% - I think the question is misstated. Their answer pertains to a depiction of something other than the landmark itself. In my haste I omitted to type the word "photo"; including that will, I believe, address your 'issue'. (See the picture now included in the main post.)

70% - Got it in 6 sec (recognized mirror images right away) Clever! ;)

60% - Another flawed question. What exactly is meant by "tell them apart"? Seems like multiple responses are possible. I'm sure you're right that there may well be other possible solutions: haircut, style of play, body piercings, etc., all com to mind but when you see the actual picture (now included below, qv) it's pretty obvious they are looking for you to identify that one plays left-handed & the other right-handed.

50% Got it in 27 sec (had to re-read twice, slowly) Close shave, Eh?

45% - Skipped (cannot understand the description) Sorry my 'description' wasn't clear enough for you but the original image is now available below, qv.

40% - Skipped (image was missing; placeholder only) I suspect that may have been due to problems at the imgbb site. I couldn't upload the images (below) to my account there and had to resort to using imgbox instead. Again, the original puzzle is now included below.

35% - Skipped (jumbled line breaks confusing). Hmmm, maybe your problems aren't just limited to issues at imgbb? That question displays fine here, with NO 'confusing' line breaks or anything else that should have forced you to skip it; could there be some problem(s) at your end with your connection or display or other? Nevertheless (since it's you) I went back onto the website and grabbed the screen for that question too so you can now see the original below. ;)

30% - Ran out of time (counted on my fingers while visualizing each sheet turn) Never discount the usefulness of plasticine methods. ?

25% - Ran out of time (I understood the 7, but failed to make the obvious connection to 70) Bad luck.

15% - Ran out of time (wasn't thinking in terms of cryptic clue wordplays) What!? With all the "Rebus/Wordles" stuff you've done in here? I trust you're suitably ashamed of yourself!

10% - Answered in 13 sec (will confirm when you post answer on Monday) Look forward to that.

5% - Answered in 4 sec (almost had it before finishing the question; will confirm on Monday) Subhotosh (& AvgStudent) have already pretty much given that one away (but they didn't tell us very much about how they did on any of the other stuff! ? and anyone who didn't "get the answer to the 1% question" clearly didn't read the answer to the 10% question properly! ?)
1% - Ran out of time (becoming confident that I understood the necessaries took more than 30 seconds) It was a hard one!

If I were ever on that show, I'm pretty sure my brain would shut down. o_O I suspect you're not alone there! ???

[imath]\;[/imath]
Hi Otis,

Thank you very much for providing such a detailed response; it's heart-warming to see someone put so much effort into their response when the OP itself involved such a great deal of effort too.

(A big thank you also goes out to BBB for showing me how to use a better way to add over/under braces properly; I will endeavour to make a better job of that kind of thing in future.)

I have added comments (
in red) to the 'quote' of your OP (above) so please "Click to expand..." that to see everything I've written there.

I was really just being facetious (good word that; one of a very few that contain all the vowels in their correct order ?) when I suggested you might be angling for extra time on the puzzles. I'm sure that you're a very honourable person of high moral standing (like me ?) but, in any case, any individual who tries, in any way, to 'cheat' in here actually cheats no one but themself!

I also realise that, where the questions on the show involved pictorial puzzles, it was not ideal for me just to describe these though I did do my best and (IMNSHO) the two drawings I made up in MS Paint (for the 70% & 40% questions) were perfectly adequate representations of the show's own picture puzzles.

I'm sorry you were unable to see the 40% picture I provided but I believe there are currently some "issues" with the
imgbb site, however, I have now taken some screengrabs of the puzzles (as originally shown on the telly) and include them (below) for anyone who wants to see what the show's contestants were actually presented with on the night.

Hope that's of interest to all (who are taking any interest in this thread, lmao).

The 80% Question:-

swEiFmCd_o.png

The 60% Question:-

1dUi5HZs_o.png

The 45% Question:-

icrWBA71_o.png

The 40% Question:-

wET6wf8N_o.png

The 35% Question:-

hbxG9cPc_o.png

Thank you very much for providing such a detailed response
You are welcome, sir. It was easy to scribble notes, as I went through the questions.

the two drawings I made up in MS Paint (for the 70% & 40% questions) were perfectly adequate representations
The 70% question was easy for me, and the 40% question now displays its image.

These two screenshots show what I'd seen in the 45% and 35% questions.

ebm.PNG

nfl.PNG

The mobile version of this site really sucks (and it's buggy, to boot). Unfortunately, when the server kicks me off the site, I'm forced to switch devices.

Ah, yes, the corrected landmarks question makes sense now.

I still say the tennis-players question is flawed. The fact that I'd thought the players were opponents notwithstanding, it is unreasonable to assume that a tennis player always holds their racket in the same hand – let alone the same hand as they were holding it when somebody just happened to take their photograph. Silly! Now ask me if I care. ;)

I can't remember the last time I was ashamed of myself (seriously), yet I embarrass myself almost weekly.

PS: In order to reduce scrolling, I would like to suggest starting a new thread if you post another week's puzzle. Cheers!

?

[imath]\;[/imath]

We have cheerfully returned your above "2 minutes". Please check your inbox.

?

[imath]\;[/imath]
Hey! Don't you be giving back time that was stolen by me!

I know you think you're in charge around here but there has to be a limit on how much control we can be subjected to by some soulless machine!

Who's responsible for your programming anyway?

Luddites Unite!

You are welcome, sir. It was easy to scribble notes, as I went through the questions.

The 70% question was easy for me, and the 40% question now displays its image.

These two screenshots show what I'd seen in the 45% and 35% questions.

View attachment 32223

View attachment 32224

The mobile version of this site really sucks (and it's buggy, to boot). Unfortunately, when the server kicks me off the site, I'm forced to switch devices.

Ah, yes, the corrected landmarks question makes sense now.

I still say the tennis-players question is flawed. The fact that I'd thought the players were opponents notwithstanding, it is unreasonable to assume that a tennis player always holds their racket in the same hand – let alone the same hand as they were holding it when somebody just happened to take their photograph. Silly! Now ask me if I care. ;)

I can't remember the last time I was ashamed of myself (seriously), yet I embarrass myself almost weekly.

PS: In order to reduce scrolling, I would like to suggest starting a new thread if you post another week's puzzle. Cheers!

?

[imath]\;[/imath]
Oh Dear, so you're using a phone?
That explains why you're not seeing things as intended.

I'm afraid I only work on a Desktop so it doesn't occur to me to cater for other means of access; I'll give it some thought for the future.

Glad to see you've got over (yourself, lol) your concerns about the 'tennis brothers'; it was, indeed, a facile question anyway.

Being able to embarrass yourself without shame is a sure sign of maturity in a man! I have almost perfected the art meself, lol.

I will certainly post any future excerpts from this show in a new thread (if I can just figure out how to create one, Doh).

Thanks for posting the pictures. For the 80% question the perspective at the base of the statue helped me to immediately see that something wasn't right - that it was a "cut and paste job" onto a different background photo. I saw this before noticing the background was London.

The intent of the 45% question was much clearer given the image - even though I viewed the text version on my desktop. But then I think I have a brain that is more visual than most people's.

I think that starting a new thread, if you wish to continue taking the time to post these puzzles (and thank you for that), would be a great idea.

I did genuinely think that the answer to the 1% question was Monday, but I had a good laugh when I realised that you will reveal the answer on Monday :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: . My own answer (within 30s) was definitely incorrect -
My answer was "24" - but I didn't think about the leftmost digit. Within a couple of minutes I revised this to "3" but was then unsure for quite a while about the midnight scenario (should the answer be "2"). But I still think that it's "3"

Love the observation that the word "facetious" contains all the vowels in their correct order.

Apologies to anyone (West of the UK) who is situated anywhere that it is not still Monday. I tried to post this before (my) midnight "deadline" but the site stopped 'working' for me every time I tried to post it!

Thanks to everyone who looked at this week's questions and especial thanks go to those who were brave (honest?) enough to post their failures (getting the wrong answers/running out of time), in magnificent detail in some cases! ??

I have noted the (perfectly valid) comments made about opening a new thread for each individual week's show and will, therefore, certainly do so (now that I've discovered how to do that ?), if I post any future show's content. If and when I do post any new show's content I intend to post it under the title(s):

"The 1% Club, dd Mmm"

(I'm sure you will all understand the "dd Mmm" bit) so just watch out for such Post Headings in future (if you're at all interested).

The latest show had several more questions in it than the pilot show did. A fact I wasn't aware of until I was already much of the way through writing up (in Notepad) the questions & answers as I watched (with frequent pauses/rewinds, lol) my recording of the show. Hence, I felt 'committed' to including every question that came up in my post. However, several of the (earlier?) questions were fairly trite; some you could even predict the answer from the way the question was worded before the accompanying picture/diagram appeared! Therefore, I reserve the right to post only those questions that I think merit the consideration of the massive brains ? that haunt these premises in future. I expect this will lead to only the final three (10%, 5% & 1% questions) plus a 'noteworthy' selection of the earlier (easier?) questions being included.

These being only those questions that (I think) are worthy of your time and effort, I will no longer be including the Answers to any of them so (if you're really stumped) you may have to wait a couple of days to find out the answers but, of course, I cannot prevent anyone posting their solution to any of them (hopefully, at least) behind a "Spoiler button". We can only trust that others will then refrain from plagiarising such posts (no point 'cheating' anyway, as I have already pointed out previously) or even looking at them unless and until they have come up with their own answer and so, I will neither confirm nor deny whether any such posts' answers are correct (or otherwise) before the final ''reveal" on the Monday (this will also avoid anyone thinking "Monday" is an answer! ?).
(Notwithstanding that, I may decide to add some comment or other following certain posts if I think their (comic?) value may be worthy of the addition.)

I do apologize for any consternation suffered by anyone who posted "3.7" as their answer to the 5% question and was told by me that it was wrong, lol. Strictly speaking, it wasn't the correct answer because placing it between 3 and 7 gives 33.77 which is not greater than 3 and less than 7 but I (and everyone else, I'm sure) would know exactly what they meant so I'm happy to admit that "3.7" would, indeed, be a perfectly reasonably acceptable answer.

Furthermore, where a question is not just text based but also involves a picture/diagram, I am not going to waste any more time trying to describe the pictorial element or create my own mock up of it. In future, therefore, I will only post screengrabs of the questions (assuming I can get them) and that will mean that you will see exactly what the audience of the show does (though you will actually get a better view than they do*) and it will also avoid the possibility of any mistakes on my part like when I missed out a (very important) word on one of the questions this week!
because the audience are all sitting at a fair distance away from the large screen behind the presenter where the questions are displayed! One or two contestants have made comments that they were unable to discern accurately what was on the screen. (This does provide ample material for the comedian who presents the show to make fun of their 'interpretations' of what they thought they were seeing.)

So, without further ado (I apologize to AvgStudent or anyone else who finds my posts too long to be bothered reading all the way through and, therefore, risks failure to observe certain bits of important info.), here are:-

The Answers to The 1% Club, 16th April final 3 Questions.

The Answer given to the 10% Question was:-

The Answer given to the 5% Question was:-

The Answer given to the 1% Question was:-

but see also my Reply to Cubist (further down).

I do hope everyone (who looked at this thread) has had some fun/pleasure from it and, with your further encouragement, I will endeavour to post future episodes' puzzles for your edification & enjoyment. ?

Kindest Regards,
Brian.

Last edited:
I did genuinely think that the answer to the 1% question was Monday, but I had a good laugh when I realised that you will reveal the answer on Monday :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: . My own answer (within 30s) was definitely incorrect -

My answer was "24" - but I didn't think about the leftmost digit. Within a couple of minutes I revised this to "3" but was then unsure for quite a while about the midnight scenario (should the answer be "2"). But I still think that it's "3"
So you see what I mean about reading all the way through my posts? ? I did say (at the end of the 10% answer) that I was not going to post the answers to it and the 5% & 1% ones until Monday! ?

My thought (within the time limit) was also 24 and that was the final contestant's thinking too but, as you can see above, the answer provided was, indeed, 3.

I can fully empathise with your thinking that it might, perhaps, only be 2!
If you only include 00:00:00 as part of the 24-hour time period at the start of the period and do not include it as part of the period at the end too (that being the start of the following 24 hours) then there is, perhaps, a (strong?) argument for saying that the correct answer should be 2!

But that's the stuff of brain ache so I'm going to agree with your final conclusion and the show's production team clearly concur. Well Done! ?

Shoot-a-darn! I thought I'd gotten the 10% question, but I did not. Apparently, my eyes were 'uneven'. ?

On the plus side, my 5% answer was "a decimal point".

[imath]\;[/imath]

Hi All,

Apologies if I'm intruding.

I'm writing to you because you all made some kind of 'contribution' to the 1% Club post(s) where I uploaded questions/puzzles from that show. :thumbup:

I recently posted in a new thread,
The 1% Club, 30th April, questions from the show that was aired on Saturday there.

I said I would post the "answers" to the questions I posted today (Monday) but, as far as I can see, nobody has looked at the new thread; there certainly haven't been any attempts at answering the questions posted! ?

Now, I suppose it's possible that it's just that nobody has 'noticed' this new thread having been started (I don't know what "notifications" you get or seek about 'new' stuff coming into the Forum) or maybe folks have looked at it and thought it was of no interest to them or that this week's questions were just too simple to bother with! Or, perhaps, there's just no one who wants to see this stuff anymore! ?‍♂️

If that's the case, then that's no problem! I'm sure most of you do have much better things you could be spending your time on than this sort of trivia. ?

If so, I won't bother posting the answers (because imgbb has become very bothersome about uploading images; it refuses to let me upload from file and will only accept URLs to upload images from!) and Subhotosh is welcome to just delete the the thread (to save space ?) if he thinks that appropriate. (If I'm notified of any "activity" on the thread then I'll know at least someone wants it kept.)

So, if anyone does want to have a go at the questions (or even just peruse them) then I'd be grateful if you would post a brief Reply to this message (or just post something in the new thread (The 1% Club, 30th April) and I will defer posting the answers until Tues/Wed.

Thank you for reading (this far, lol) &
Best Regards,
Brian.

PS: I chose to Reply to you all in these (your original 1% Club thread) posts because there are seven of you and when I tried starting a "Conversation" I discovered you can only include five "addressees". I hope this method 'works' (and doesn't breach any site rules).

This is just here in an attempt to "Cc;" this message to my email too. ?