The guys built all these "houses" from cubes, that if you look at them from the front, you can see picture I, and if on the left

Max is 9 and minimum 3
3 minimum - yes. Can't be 9 maximum, since I have only 5 cubes.
How about this: I show you the front, it looks like a 2x2 square. And the same thing from the right side. What's the min and max number is cubes?

View attachment 24520
It has an answer: E
But how to solve it?
The basic method, as far as I can see, is just to try visualizing structures that fit. I can easily obtain the maximum of 16, but I can only get a minimum of 8 if I allow the structure to be disconnected (some blocks don't share a face with any other).

The rules are not clear, as to me a "house" would be connected, but they don't define it. It's also implied, I think, that blocks can't float in midair or be glued to the side of another. (The grammar could be improved, too.)

The hardest part, especially for some people, will be to visualize a 3d structure. One way is to draw a "floor plan" to keep track of how high it is at each location, trying to make sure the maximum height in each row or column is appropriate.

Here is my maximum, color-coded by height:

1611243927052.png

I'm sure there are better ways to solve these.

The basic method, as far as I can see, is just to try visualizing structures that fit. I can easily obtain the maximum of 16, but I can only get a minimum of 8 if I allow the structure to be disconnected (some blocks don't share a face with any other).

The rules are not clear, as to me a "house" would be connected, but they don't define it. It's also implied, I think, that blocks can't float in midair or be glued to the side of another. (The grammar could be improved, too.)

The hardest part, especially for some people, will be to visualize a 3d structure. One way is to draw a "floor plan" to keep track of how high it is at each location, trying to make sure the maximum height in each row or column is appropriate.

Here is my maximum, color-coded by height:

View attachment 24543

I'm sure there are better ways to solve these.
Thx

Since you're finished, here is my solution for the minimum; this is much harder to be sure of:
1611414283135.png