The lengths in feet of the pieces of woods are 1/2, 2,4, 1 and 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1 3/4, 3/4

cbonilla8890

I'm helping someone in 3rd grade solve a fraction problem.
Note: The one from the QUESTION is already in the plot below, and there are 3 spaces before the 1 and 3 spaces after the 1. This makes it 7 fractions in the question. I'm so confused in what is supposed to be a simple question.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

A carpenter has several scraps of board left over.The lengths in feet of the pieces of woods are 1/2, 2,4, 1 and 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1 3/4, 3/4

Use the line plot to record the measurements

0 __________ 1____________ 2

… there are 3 spaces before the 1 and 3 spaces after the 1 …

… The lengths in feet of the pieces of woods are 1/2, 2,4, 1 and 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1 3/4, 3/4

Use the line plot to record the measurements

0 __________ 1____________ 2
Hello. Can you post a picture of what you're looking at? I would like to read their instructions.

For example, are you talking about fill-in-the-blanks, when you say, "3 spaces before the 1 and 3 spaces after the 1"?

If you've been asked to plot points on the line, instead, then consider each measurement in terms of fourths. That is, divide the line segment from 0 to 1 into four equal pieces, using tick marks. Do the same with the segment from 1 to 2. Each of the given measurements (except 4) will be plotted on one of the tick marks because all of those measurements can be expressed as some number of fourths.

Please check your typing. One of your board lengths is 4 feet (highlighted in red above). That value is not on the line because the line stops at 2 feet.

?

Hello, and welcome to FMH! :)

I see 9 measurements, and here is a plot of those measurements:

fmh_0029.png

|_ _ _|_ _ _|
Let the 1st | represent 0, the 2nd | represent 1 and the 3rd | represent 2
Since there are 3 dashes between the whole number then each dash represent 1/4
So the marks are as follows (please remember that I already defined the |s

| 1/4 2/4 or 1/2 3/4 | 1 1/4 1 2/4 or 1 1/2 1 3/4 |

Here is a picture …
Okay, thanks. They have placed tick marks as I described in post #2. That is, each foot represented by the line has been divided into four equal segments.

Starting with zero, you can label each mark as a number of fourths.

0/4 \( \; \; \) 1/4 \( \; \; \) 2/4 \( \; \; \) 3/4 \( \; \; \) 4/4 \( \; \; \) 5/4 \( \; \; \) 6/4 \( \; \; \) 7/4 \( \; \; \) 8/4

Do you know how to reduce a fraction to lowest terms? For example, they gave you 2/4. What is the reduced form?

Have you learned how to change improper fractions to mixed numbers? For example, the improper fraction 7/4 written as a mixed number is 1¾.

Let us know, if you need links to basic lessons on fractions.

?

I totally understand it. I think my niece saw it as placing them in a specific order but not plotting them. We got frustrated when we saw another 3/4 and another 1. I got it. We weren't even using it as a "PLOT" lol...

Otis, I do have that basic understanding of fractions and mixed fractions.

One thing I can't figure out is how to order them from least to greatest when they have different numerators and denominators. Can you help with that?

Order from Least to Greatest

For example: 1/3, 5/8,1/10, 1/8,3/5, 7/8

… we saw another 3/4 and another 1 …
Repeating ¾ is their mistake, but 1 is not repeated.

These are three different numbers: \(\;\) ¾, \(\;\) 1, \(\;\) 1¾

… how to order [fractions and/or mixed numbers] from least to greatest when they have different numerators and denominators …

For example: \(\;\) 1/3, \(\;\) 5/8, \(\;\) 1/10, \(\;\) 1/8, \(\;\) 3/5, \(\;\) 7/8
List the fractions with a common denominator, first. Then order them according to the numerators (because the denominators are now all same-size pieces).

In your example, the denominators are 3, 8, 5 and 10, so the common denominator is 120. The equivalent fractions (in terms of 120ths) are:

40/120, \(\;\) 75/120, \(\;\) 12/120, \(\;\) 15/120, \(\;\) 72/120, \(\;\) 105/120

12/120 is the smallest fraction, as it contains only twelve pieces (each piece being 1/120th of one, same as all the pieces in the other fractions). Therefore, 1/10 goes first in your ordered list.

105/120 is the largest fraction, as it contains 105 pieces. So the last fraction in your ordered list is 7/8.

Finish the ordered list:

1/10, \(\;\) … , \(\;\) … , \(\;\) … , \(\;\) … , \(\;\) 7/8

?

Last edited:
One question is exactly what they mean by "line plot". I think what they mean is what MarkFL showed, which you can read about here, also called a "dot plot":
To me, the name is misleading, as it is easily confused with a graph made by joining plotted points with lines, rather than putting marks along a line. I'd call it a dot plot, except that many people use x's instead of dots.