The Movement of a Room in a 3 Dimensional Space / How ?!

ErikHall

So first some context
I am working on a Short Movie Project. The Movie is based on the Movie "Cube" from 1997, thus the setting is the same. A Cube made out of 9261 smaller Rooms that can all shift there Position on the Grid. So there are 21 Rooms along all positive axis.
All Rooms have one set of Coordinates, for example (6/4/12).

Now to my problem,
The Rooms move to points on the Grid, halt and then move on to the next point. So one Room starts at (6/4/12), goes to (12/5/14), then to (21/11/20) and then goes back to its starting point. The Rooms are suppose to have Numbers writen on the hatches that help the People trapped inside the system to get out. But of course just Writing down all the Coordinates the Room will move to is a bit easy.

What i want:
The best case would a bit like this: You have a set of 3, 3 Digit Numbers at each hatch of each Room. For Example 859 421 332. Using the right method one is able to Calculate not only where the Room starts from, but also where it will be. So idk i do the method and get (17/14/15) as the Coordinates for t4.

What i have:
Not much. Just a few ideas that dont work. One idea was to one gets the Original Coordinates by just doing the "checksum" on it. So 859 = 22 as for example the X-Axis. And then you always add 3 and get the Coordinates of the next stopping point.
The Problems with this system are that it is still kind of simple but also uses a Number, in this case 3, that you have to know in order to beat the system. if you dont know it, its GG. So how would you get it ?
Another plan was to use Vectors, something along those lines:

1 5 8
2 6 1
5 10 4

So you have (1/2/5) as the first Coordinate and 5/6/10 as the next....
Problem: Vectors can go in a negativ direction. So it could happen that you have a minus in the Matrix. Which would give away that you are looking at Vectors, meaning everyone that knows something about Math will see it and solve the Cube in a few sec.
Another idea was to use Permutations. The Idea: 675 = 18, = 18! = 6,402,373,705,728,000 = 54 = 9. And there is the new Coordinate. The Problem is that the Permutation of 9 is 362,880 = 27 = 9. So we got or self a loop. And that happens with every number. Another idea was to use x². So 18² = 324 = 9 and there is or Problem again because 9² = 81 = 9. Loop.

So that´s my situation right now. I know what kind of system i want but i dont know if it is possible to do. So i ask you guys for help.

Those are the requirements:
- The Numbers should be interessting
- It should work for every Room
- It should give at least 6 sets of Coordinates
- It shouldnt require a Coumputer to do

again. Idk if it is even possible to do. But i mean if someone out there can do it, you are my hero !

Thanks for your help !

Very confusing explanation. Are you numbering rooms or grid locations?

Very confusing explanation. Are you numbering rooms or grid locations?
Sry, i am not Nativ to English, i am German.
So there are Rooms on the Grid which have Coordinates. So the Rooms are numbered.

Sry, i am not Nativ to English, i am German.
So there are Rooms on the Grid which have Coordinates. So the Rooms are numbered.
If I am in a room I see its number (where? On the door?). Then the room moves. Does the number change? If it does, then the number belongs to the location, not the room. Please clarify.

If I am in a room I see its number (where? On the door?). Then the room moves. Does the number change? If it does, then the number belongs to the location, not the room. Please clarify.
Ok so each Room has its own Coordinates. Those Coordinates are (x/y/z). Those are the Starting Coordinates. But the Room dosnt stay there. it goes from x1; y1 and z1 all the way up to x6; y6 and z6 before moving back to x1; y1 z1. This is the outside perspectiv. The people inside dont know that.

What do they know ? Well i would like to have it this way:
They have three sets of Numbers, a; b; c. Those Numbers are suppose to show every Coordinate the Room will move throw. So for example, you take a a and with some method you get x1-6. Same with b and c.

Thus the Number is only for this Room. But the Numbers a;b;c can be transformed into x1-6; y1-6 and z1-6.
Thats, in a nutshell, what i want to do.
Is it clearer now ?

You keep saying "each room has its own coordinates". No, it's grid locations that have coordinates. The room has a display that can show current coordinates or some sort of encoding of coordinates, plus an encoding of the next location. Is this correct? (I see it as an elevator that shows current floor plus the floor it's going to stop at next).
You want help with creating the encoding for current and next set of coordinates that's interesting, works for all rooms, etc. It's an interesting project. I wish I had time for it. If you come up with something I'll be happy to take a look.

You keep saying "each room has its own coordinates". No, it's grid locations that have coordinates. The room has a display that can show current coordinates or some sort of encoding of coordinates, plus an encoding of the next location. Is this correct? (I see it as an elevator that shows current floor plus the floor it's going to stop at next).
You want help with creating the encoding for current and next set of coordinates that's interesting, works for all rooms, etc. It's an interesting project. I wish I had time for it. If you come up with something I'll be happy to take a look.

What i mean is that every Room has its "Starting Coordinate".
So the Number shown in the room is not on a Display. Its fix and cannot be changed. So my goal is a system like that as an example: Numbers in the Room: 567 332 124; First set of Coordinates: 17/3/21; 2. set of Coordinates 8/8/5 and so on.

Thats what i want to do. But i can´t because all systems that i have tried, dont work. The system would encode 6 sets of Coordinates into 3 Numbers. The first number as X, the 2. as Y and so on.

I tried to use Permutations, checksums and x² or x³. But nothing works as i want. Thus this post, i hope that someone is smart enough to figure out a system that works.

Given my chosen username I thought I should make a suggestion :)

Numbers like this could be etched into the cell...

6213 3050 (x coords)
8764 4321 (y coords)
269 5832 (z coords)

Considering "x" only... to get the real coordinates, divide by 21 twice and look at the remainders...

Code:
   6213 / 21 = 295 remainder 18
    295 / 21 = 14  remainder 1
                \----------- 14

3050 / 21 = 145 remainder 5
    145 / 21 = 6   remainder 19
                 \---------- 6

x-sequence is {18,1,14,5,19,6}

---

To encode, take your 6 desired numbers {x1,x2,..x6} and...

N1 = x1 + x2*21 + x3*212
N2 = x4 + x5*21 + x6*212

where x<n> values range from 0 to 20, and the results N1,N2 will range from 0 to 9261

You could check that the example {18,1,14,5,19,6} encodes to 6213 3050

---

On the downside this is very simple, and not mega interesting. Positives are:- it is believable; not obvious; and most viewers should get it once the "geek character" decodes it :geek:

6213 3050 (x coords)
8764 4321 (y coords)
269 5832 (z coords)

Considering "x" only... to get the real coordinates, divide by 21 twice and look at the remainders...

Code:
                \----------- 14

\---------- 6

---

N1 = x1 + x2*21 + x3*212
N2 = x4 + x5*21 + x6*212

where x<n> values range from 0 to 20, and the results N1,N2 will range from 0 to 9261

---

On the downside this is very simple, and not mega interesting. Positives are:- it is believable; not obvious; and most viewers should get it once the "geek character" decodes it :geek:

... Did.... did you just solve the Problem i was working on for ever ? Just like that ? What are you ? How can i give you money ? What do you want ?!

Thats amazing ! It is pretty much what i wanted. I mean the numbers may be a bit big, but what do you expect considering all the Information inside of them. Now i can rewrite the script.
What would be interessting to me is
Why 21 ? Is it because the Cube is 21 x 21 x 21 ?Or is it just random ?

again, thank you so much, if you want to, you can give me your Name so you can be credited in the Script and the Movie. Until that ill just use your Username here.
Again, THANKS

So at first i wanted to write how the system is really good but dosnt work since you get uneven numbers out of it. But then i remembered that Leav wont have the cool Tool know as a Calculator with her. So i started to do it by Hand. And would ýou look at that. Even numbers and pretty clear Coordinates.
One question remains, why can i not put in a Number like 21 ? The Cube is 21³ so having Coordinates like 21 is important
Why dosnt it work ? And how could it work ?

nvm, got it, just change the number by which you divide to 22 and its fine again.

6213 3050 (x coords)
8764 4321 (y coords)
269 5832 (z coords)

Code:
                \----------- 14

\---------- 6

---

N1 = x1 + x2*21 + x3*212
N2 = x4 + x5*21 + x6*212

---

"Given my chosen username I thought I should make a suggestion ....."

As soon as saw this thread for moderation I thought of you

I'm quite new to helping on this forum. I do like horror films so it's great to have contributed to one of them! If you really want to pay something then the next time you're donating to a charity perhaps you could add something extra on my behalf. And mentioning the name "Cubist" in the film credits sounds cool to me!

You are right that my method only works for numbers 0 to 20, but this actually provides 21 different possible values - however they start at 0. (Having 0 as the first element index is fairly common in computing.) If you prefer them to range from 1 to 21 you could just add 1 to all the coordinates after decoding ( and use N1 = (x1-1) + (x2-1)*21 + (x3-1)*212, and similarly for N2 )

But your method of dividing by 22 also works well. There is a side effect that the maximum possible code increases from 9260 to 10647. But this maybe isn't a problem in your film because you could just choose sets of numbers that stay small (keep the x3 and x6 coordinates smaller)

I'm quite new to helping on this forum. I do like horror films so it's great to have contributed to one of them! If you really want to pay something then the next time you're donating to a charity perhaps you could add something extra on my behalf. And mentioning the name "Cubist" in the film credits sounds cool to me!

You are right that my method only works for numbers 0 to 20, but this actually provides 21 different possible values - however they start at 0. (Having 0 as the first element index is fairly common in computing.) If you prefer them to range from 1 to 21 you could just add 1 to all the coordinates after decoding ( and use N1 = (x1-1) + (x2-1)*21 + (x3-1)*212, and similarly for N2 )

But your method of dividing by 22 also works well. There is a side effect that the maximum possible code increases from 9260 to 10647. But this maybe isn't a problem in your film because you could just choose sets of numbers that stay small (keep the x3 and x6 coordinates smaller)
Well all i can say is, you did a very good job. This is what i was looking for. Like exactly what i wanted. And it is not only "One Way" in the sense that you cannot change the size of the Cube and it all breaks apart. Perfect really !

So ill mention you as "Cubist", the Math dude in the Credits then.

Again, thank you

Please mention our forum

FreeMathHelp.com

Where you met Cubist.