The purpose of using Derivitive in real life. (I'm an electrical engineer.)

Aliz

Hello there, I'm new here so thank you in advance for your help.

I'm an electrical engineer, so you don't have to explain much about the whole subject.

Now, I've been wondering about why we need to go in Derivation of stuff while there are some other solutions for solving a particular problem.

For example:

When throwing an object from one spot to another then I collect the information about the time it spent to reach the spot and the distance and the mass of the object.

Now, I need to use The Derivative to determine the velocity at different points.

Thank you in advance and I hope I made sense (I'm Arabic)

I'm an electrical engineer, so you don't have to explain much about the whole subject.

Now, I've been wondering about why we need to go in Derivation of stuff while there are some other solutions for solving a particular problem.

For example:

When throwing an object from one spot to another then I collect the information about the time it spent to reach the spot and the distance and the mass of the object.

Now, I need to use The Derivative to determine the velocity at different points.

If you fly from Dubai to Maldives, do you want to know your average speed for the whole trip only after you get there, or might you be interested in the instantaneous speed at any given time?

For example:

It's not quite clear what you are asking. Certainly there are some problems that can be solved without calculus; and when calculus would otherwise be necessary, there may be formulas you can use if you don't know calculus (but they are probably derived using calculus).

In your example, the mass only matters if you are using a model that takes into account air resistance or other factors; but in that case you would need additional information as well. But if you use a simple quadratic model, with sufficient information (not just distance, but relative height at the start and finish, for example), then you could write an equation to describe the motion and take the derivative; or use physics knowledge (potential and kinetic energy, for example) to find the velocity at a given time without directly using the derivative. Either way, those principles are proved using the derivative. If you are told in an assignment to use the derivative, of course, then you need to do as you were told!

So, what do you need to know?

It's not quite clear what you are asking. Certainly there are some problems that can be solved without calculus; and when calculus would otherwise be necessary, there may be formulas you can use if you don't know calculus (but they are probably derived using calculus).

In your example, the mass only matters if you are using a model that takes into account air resistance or other factors; but in that case you would need additional information as well. But if you use a simple quadratic model, with sufficient information (not just distance, but relative height at the start and finish, for example), then you could write an equation to describe the motion and take the derivative; or use physics knowledge (potential and kinetic energy, for example) to find the velocity at a given time without directly using the derivative. Either way, those principles are proved using the derivative. If you are told in an assignment to use the derivative, of course, then you need to do as you were told!

So, what do you need to know?

When the football is kicked over your head, what does it take for you to get under it and head it away from your goal? Calculus? Analytic Geometry? Spatial Awareness? It think my signature answers your question.

For example:

calculus is useful to see how far it will go before you throw it.
or, knowing how far it went, and how much it weighed, you use math to determine how much force you put on the object.
i.e. you use math (calculus) to determine unknowns, what you were unable to measure.