The student's incorrect attempt

JackSmith

Hi guys
This is my first time seeing this kind of question .
can you guys help me with the answer and explaining ?
please it would be great.

Many thanks

Attachments

• photo_2019-08-18_13-01-53 (2).jpg
    photo_2019-08-18_13-01-53 (2).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 13
  • photo_2019-08-18_13-01-53.jpg
    photo_2019-08-18_13-01-53.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 12
One pretty obvious mistake is in (ii).
and what about the second one ?
and how it should be ? can you explain more ? what should i write ?
i am really confused with these type of question that i need to write my solution and explain directly to the student.

many thanks

Could you provide some context? What exactly are you seeing for the first time? Are you studying for a teaching degree? Have you studied geometry and algebra before?

It's pretty straight forward. Right triangle CBD has hypotenuse of length 18.4 and BC with length 15.2. So sin(CBD)= \(\displaystyle \frac{15.2}{18.4}\). Since angle BAC is 40 degrees, \(\displaystyle \frac{15.2}{AC}= tan(40)\). Of course, by the Pythagorean theorem, \(\displaystyle 18.4^2=DC^2+ 15.2^2\).

I think you need to just write out something, describing what you see the student doing, and where there is anything right or wrong to comment on. Then we can comment on your comments, correcting or adding where appropriate. You will learn a lot more this way than by asking someone else to answer it from scratch for you; some things can best be seen in stages rather than by staring at a blank page.

I will tell you that a relatively subtle error is at the very end, where the student uses a rounded value, which leads to a possibly significant error in the final answer.

Could you provide some context? What exactly are you seeing for the first time? Are you studying for a teaching degree? Have you studied geometry and algebra before?

I studied before but in my country was different and we are not using these kinda formul it may not make sense but it was't like these formulas.