The Union of Two Open Sets is Open

G-X

Let [Math]x ∈ A1 ∪ A2[/Math] then [Math]x ∈ A1[/Math] or [Math]x ∈ A2[/Math]
If [Math]x ∈ A1[/Math], as A1 is open, there exists an r > 0 such that [Math]B(x,r) ⊂ A1⊂ A1 ∪ A2[/Math] and thus B(x,r) is an open set.

Therefore [Math]A1 ∪ A2[/Math] is an open set.

How does this prove that [Math]A1 ∪ A2[/Math] is an open set. It just proved that [Math]A1 ∪ A2[/Math] contains an open set; not that the entire set will be open?

Addition: This is very similar to the statement: "An open subset of R is a subset E of R such that for every x in E there exists ϵ > 0 such that Bϵ(x) is contained in E.

I see, I think I had the misunderstanding that something from A2 might close A1.

But I don't think that is an issue you technically need to wrap your head around.

Because the definition states: We define a set U to be open if for each point x in U there exists an open ball B centered at x contained in U.

So, essentially looping over A1, A2 - making the reference that open balls exist at each of these points then all points in A1 ∪ A2 have open balls contained in the union thus by the definition it must be open.

You haven't quite stated the corrected proof, but it looks like you may have the right idea. Your original didn't consider the case where x is not in A1, so you just have to include that case.

You also didn't state what you were proving: "Let A1 and A2 be open sets, ..."

Thanks for the help. I was able to finish the proof last night. I did not post my version of the proof, unless I need proof verification, because one was already given above - even though it was slightly incomplete. And several other hints were given below by others. I won't post the full proof to allow others to explore the answer for themselves.