TI 89 Help, "Solve" function seems to be broken?

mitdude

Hi everyone, I'm presenting a problem that has been bothering me for a while now. My TI-89 works fine when solving simple equations, however once in a while it refuses to solve for x and gives me some other large answer. For example, when I type in something like solve(abs((1-(1/4)x)-1/x)<0.1,x) my TI-89 gives me abs((x^2-4x+4)/x)<0.4 Whenever I type it into my friends calculator they get some value like 1.2....<x<3.4... or something along that line. This happens often when solving for problems with =, where all my friends get one answer while I'm left with some odd answer that doesn't seem to be anywhere close.

I've tried finding the approximation, reset my calculator of all data, I'm not sure what is wrong with my calculator, do I need to buy a new one? Please help.

Hi everyone, I'm presenting a problem that has been bothering me for a while now. My TI-89 works fine when solving simple equations, however once in a while it refuses to solve for x and gives me some other large answer. For example, when I type in something like solve(abs((1-(1/4)x)-1/x)<0.1,x) my TI-89 gives me abs((x^2-4x+4)/x)<0.4 Whenever I type it into my friends calculator they get some value like 1.2....<x<3.4... or something along that line. This happens often when solving for problems with =, where all my friends get one answer while I'm left with some odd answer that doesn't seem to be anywhere close.

I've tried finding the approximation, reset my calculator of all data, I'm not sure what is wrong with my calculator, do I need to buy a new one? Please help.
Go to:

https://education.ti.com/en/customer-support

The best place to get these types of problem solved - would be to go to the source.