Time Interval for Material Derivative: Does the definition of the material derivative include an indication of the time period under consideration?

I'mLearning

As I meteorology student, I am currently thinking about the material derivative.

My question is:
Does the definition of the material derivative include an indication of the time period under consideration?
Is the rate of change of a physical quantity considered in a small time interval or does the size of the time interval play no role?

Is it the same definition as the normal derivative (that is, instantaneous rate of change)?

Does the definition of the material derivative include an indication of the time period under consideration?
Is the rate of change of a physical quantity considered in a small time interval or does the size of the time interval play no role?

Is it the same definition as the normal derivative (that is, instantaneous rate of change)?
What definition were you given? That should answer your question.

I know nothing about it, but from what I read, it is an instantaneous rate, just like any other derivative.

Perhaps you need to show us what you have been taught, so we can better understand your question. It sounds like you may have been given only a very informal description, not a definition.