Total Distance help

Josh119

Ben walks at 10km/hr from his house to the train station. He can walk a further 2km if he walked at 14km/h. Find the actual distance to the train station.

I know finding the total distance is speed x times, but im unable to find the answer and that is why i am here.

The question as stated makes no sense; it seems to be about his endurance (he can walk farther when he walks faster??) rather than distance and time. I will guess it is meant to be this, though I'm not at all sure:

Ben walks at 10km/hr from his house to the train station. He can walk a further 2km in the same time if he walked at 14km/h. Find the actual distance to the train station.​

Suppose the distance is d km.

Write an expression for the time it takes at 10 km/h.

Write an expression for the total distance he'd walk at 14 km/h in that time.

Write an equation that says this distance is 2 km farther than the distance to the train station.

(There are several ways you might do this; this is just one possibility.)

Please show us some work, by this method or another, so we can see where you are having trouble.

I think we need to assume here that if Ben would've walked at a speed of 14km/hr, he would've covered (x+2) km in the same time he covered x km at a speed of 10km/hr.
If that's the case, all you have to do is equate the time taken for both scenarios, as it will be the same (as per our assumption).
That should do it. :)

Ben walks at 10km/hr from his house to the train station. He can walk a further 2km if he walked at 14km/h. Find the actual distance to the train station.
Let "t" be the time, in hours, it takes him to walk from his house to the train station. Let "d" be the distance, in km., from his house to the train station. Since, as you say below, "total distance is speed x times", d= 10t.

If he walked at 14 km/h for the same time, (that is implied but not said directly) he will have walked 2 km further: d+ 2= 14t.

We have two equations, d= 10t and d+ 2= 14t to solve for two unknown values, d and t.
Start by subtracting the first equation, d= 10t, from the second, d+ 2= 14t. That eliminates d, leaving a very simple equation to solve for t.

I know finding the total distance is speed x times, but im unable to find the answer and that is why i am here.